4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear air springs installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:43    Post subject: Rear air springs installation Reply with quote

Been meaning to post this for some time now. Due to the ever increasing weight of our camping kit, the Bighorn was starting to drag its bum about when we had it all on board so following some advice on a Aussie website.
http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx
I decided to buy some of these http://www.truckspring.com/air-lift-1000-kit-rear-60783.html
Buying them direct from the states saved me at least $NZ200 over what I would have paid for them in NZ. Their service was good & they arrived in about 12 days. Hint, ring them rather than email or fax.
This was half of the kit.

Installation was relatively easy, jack up the rear, axle stands under rear cross member, remove wheel, lower jack under axle to spread spring.

Follow instructions to insert airbag after first hooking up airline to it. Put top spacer in, threading airline thru hole, then thread airline thru top of spring mount & feed to chosen point of placement of air valve.

I chose to thread mine thru the chassis after first wrapping it in spiral nylon sheathing, & I put my air valves in the rear of the side steps, as seen in the third pic, the airline exiting the chassis just in front of the sway bar then looping down & around to come to the rear of the side step. My airvalve is just visible. These are just a schrader type valve & blow up with a bike pump or foot pump. The kit suggests putting them into the rear skirt, I've seen them on exploreoz in the rear steps.
The other thing I did which is not mentioned in the installation sheet was to put a small heat shield on the exhaust pipe adjacent to the left air spring just in case it got too warm.

I simply folded up a piece cut out of an old aluminium oven tray & attached it with a couple of hose clamps.
Before I load up I blow them up to 30 psi & let them down to 5 psi empty as it says to. When travelling less heavily laden I run 20-24 psi in them. The verdict after having them in for about 18 months. Bl**dy brilliant. A huge increase in stability & handling. Hope this helps someone  with a weight problem.
Steve.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea! Thanks for posting.... Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen the price....$84 US  Shocked

That's bloody cheap  Very Happy . Mind you that would quickly become £300 if it was stocked by a UK company.... Crying or Very sad

shinz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the typo in the title, checked the rest but not that Embarassed
These cost me about NZ$160 landed at the gate, this included airmail post from the US, ask for US mail shipping not UPS which costs heaps more, at least to NZ anyway.
Steve.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fine to me  Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I could have sworn.....Thanks Laughing
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Looks fine to me  Wink

Ha!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: