4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Winch mount, Le sigh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the|stu

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 19:08    Post subject: Winch mount, Le sigh. Reply with quote

Ok I'm totally confused.

I really want a winch on the front of my mk4, but there seem to be so many different schools of thought that I'm left feeling disheartened and lost.

It seems that you either go all out for an ARB bumper, or you 'source' a winch mount from....um...

Can anyone tell me if it would be a feasable idea to buy a winch from eebuygum such as ( this one I found on eebuygum "12000lb-12v-RECOVERY-4X4-WINCH-BRANDED-CE-EXPRESS" ) and have a blacksmith / fabricator make me a mount that will bolt to the front.

Sadly I don't have endless cash to throw at the problem or I'm sure I could have a setup tomorrow, I fear that a 'work-around' is needed.

Am I living in a fools paradise of self-recovery ? Have mercy on the new guy he knows not what he says !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 19:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a peek at "webby" in the garage section... he has a discrete bumper mount solution for his winch.
the|stu

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:46    Post subject: Aha Reply with quote

Thanks chris!

That looks like an interesting line of inquiry... Webby if you're reading this thread, did that bad boy cost you much ?

Also, it doesn't look as if it'd be (too) difficult to manufacture given the correct grade steel.

And DAMNIT ! I showed my old man the pictures of that last night and he said he'd have had no problem getting one of those made up for me at the plant he used to work at but recently retired from! I feel totally ripped off.. somehow...
Webby

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the club.
The mount cost about £200.  At the time the truck was new to me and i was busy so i looked for something which could be easily fitted and should have some sort of come back if anything was to go wrong.  But now i would definately make it myself or get one made for me locally.  
It is basically made up of a universal winch mounting plate which bolts to 2 peices of angle bolted to where the towing eye bolts on.  A support is then bolted vertically to the chassis rail on either side which takes in another captive nut on the chassis.  
I mounted the universal winch mounting as far back on the angle as possible, but the mounting is still lower than the front bumper.  Having said that after nearly 3 years it still doesn't look too abused so is probably not too low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: