QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Engine Oil, will this do?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Engine Oil, will this do? Reply with quote

A new screw fix shop is opening near to us next week  Very Happy

They sell a range of motor oils.

Will this one do for a 3.1 Bighorn?  http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A250780&ts=29351&id=91019#

Oil changes every 3000 miles cost, just bought some semi synthetic from local shop at £15 per 4 litres so needed to buy 8 ltrs  Sad at just under £30 Shocked

It certainly seems to be cost effective.

Gentlemen and ladies your comments please.

Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it for the engine or oiling the hinges  Laughing

Sorry but decent oil works out at less that a penny a mile and gives piece of mind  Very Happy

I dont know about that one but a lot of cheap oils are recycled rubbish not fit for a lawn mower  Sad

And moved to correct section

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago i tried some oil i got from kwik save, it was 10/40 and £2.99 for 5 litres and when i put it in me astra i had at the time , the astra just would not go, i think it lasted 2 days b4 i drained it and put castrol gtx in, cheap oils are just not worth the bother, always used to run my vectra on castrol rs 0/40, it was like water goin in the engine but boy did it make a difference, was about £35 for 4.5 litres but worth it

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fthat, I did think of lubricating the hinges, but hey thats what 3 in 1 is for!  I will stick with the decent stuff and keep going!

moglite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried it yet, but Asda sell 5L of diesel oil for about £9
Its made by Valvoline I think, which is a pretty decent name in the oil business.

Semi-synthetic, or fully synthetic is a waste in  a low-tech engine like your 3.1, and probabbly bad for it

Andy
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

I like you comments about the oil.  But everyone I speak to, or read about, on here and else where, say that semi synthetic is the oil to use.

OK, open to the floor, what oil should I use?  If I can save a load of dosh on normal mineral oil, great.  But could there be a longer term expense?

Comments on the back of a fag packet please.

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris Andy is spot on with those comments. The older engines don't like the new runny oils much and synthetic is a waste of dosh when changing every 3,000 or so and plus you will get increased oil consumption.

Firstly I would use an oil designed specifically for (older) diesels as they carry more detergents and additive packages for keeping your motor nice and clean and carrying the nasty soot particles in suspension which does affect emissions quite a bit. If you are feeling patriotic you could consider Morris Lubricants (made here in good old Blighty) from your local factors for quite a reasonable price:

www.morrislubricants.co.uk Servol 15-40 Diesel Motor Oil.

Howver, everyone will have a different opinion and the straight answer to your question is: The best oil to use is the one you choose!  Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally go for a semi - I've heard of a lot of fully synthetic's being too slippery for older engines.

As for mineral - No, please no, you might as well pour sand in to the engine instead.

I know it's a little sad, but have a google for engine oils, there's some great sites which explain what synthetic oils are, and how they differ from mineral.

If anyone is near Sheffield - there's a costco near attercliffe markets and they sell Magnatec and other top brands at cheap prices (£15 for the magnatec IIRC).

01553 845 945
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
I'd personally go for a semi - I've heard of a lot of fully synthetic's being too slippery for older engines.

As for mineral - No, please no, you might as well pour sand in to the engine instead.

If anyone is near Sheffield - there's a costco near attercliffe markets and they sell Magnatec and other top brands at cheap prices (£15 for the magnatec IIRC).

Yes it's an interesting subject all right and the deeper you go into it the more bullsh it is in the air. As for mineral oil as sand, well, I ran 600hp race engines on mineral oil for years and never had failures so one wonders how the hell we got through 100 years of motoring on mineral sand oil, eh?

As for Magnatec, they won't let it be sold in the USA 'cos it don't (and technically can't) do what it says on the tin. It's called something else there, and strangely enough, it doesn't have "Liquid Engineering" properties there nor is it ever mentioned although the same stuff. It's all marketing speak, oh, it's probably quite a good oil, but all this "magnetic" stuff is rubbish. There, they can sue me. But they won't 'cos it's true. Another thing is Oils with dyes (the marketing boys again) like a famous green one (not going there) and red ones (not going there either), is well documented to cause engine blow ups because of the pigment used to create the colour etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum....

I am going to use recycled chip fat in my tank and in my sump and I'm going to put some Sick 60 in it and it will run forever and ever.... Wink

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use 10w/40 semi esso ultra but thats mainly as it's the best price going.. free  Very Happy different people have different opinons with oil. oil we use at work is longlife stuff and a lot of the time doesn't get changed for 20,000 miles and even the peformance engines are about 14,000 miles!
you can get decent stuff from a motor factors at good prices and if you do a lot of miles buy in bigger containers works out cheaper.
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy He he he looks like I stirred up a right hornet's nest with this one.

I guess its like aftershave, find one you like and stay with it.  Blue Stratos was good as was Brut Confused

I did the oil and filters (fuel, air and oil) today and used a reasonable 10/40 semi and the engine seems to be much better.

Now ...... the next question ..... Where should the oil pressure gauge be?  Pre oil change it hovered around the 6 mark, now its up at 8.

Any ideas on this one Very Happy .

Thanks and the Southern Shandies need to have another meet.

dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old oil, lost it's viscosity and had low pressure. New oil, a little thicker, high pressure. Wink

01553 845 945
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaah Brut
who needs all these fancy aftershaves when Brut cant be beaten Laughing
even the missus bought me sum las year

66 vauxhall corsa vxr
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

rallymarshall wrote:
aaaaah Brut
who needs all these fancy aftershaves when Brut cant be beaten Laughing
even the missus bought me sum las year

Ahhhhh .... but do you remember 'Enry and splashing it on all over? Laughing

I am sure that the green bottle of Brut will soon be a marketing icon ... just like the Coke bottle and the Trooper Very Happy

rallymarshall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a marketing slogan

"Brut...the smell of your childhood"   Laughing  Laughing

an who could forget henry cooper splashin it all over,,,or is that summat else i gettin confused with (im only 37 hahahaha)

looks like a new post comin up

66 vauxhall corsa vxr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: