Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Veg oil dilemma for a Bighorn 3.1 TD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of trying 5% petrol to 95% veg  Smile
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll burn but the viscosity may have long term detrimental effects to the fuel pump.

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
It'll burn but the viscosity may have long term detrimental effects to the fuel pump.

Isuzu say up to 20% petrol in the book?? or do you know better ??? Question

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sever weather conditions petrol can be used to stop waxing - sever as in Russian Winter (saves lighting a fire under the fuel tank)

Re-read the book Wink

Its for waxing not to make the oil thinner.

01553 845 945
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from another forum

Petrol has a low cetane but high volatility, so i am just imagining what that would mean in the cylinder - the petrol distills off first and reaches quite far into the cylinder but does not ignite instantly. Meanwhile the higher cetane fat gets left behind and ignites. While the fat flame front is starting, the petrol at the cylinder walls detonates separately causing two flame fronts to expand into each other and cause knock, aswell as scorching the cyilinder. This is all very pretty to imagine, but dont know how much practical reality it has.
I have some solutions:
1) Use butyl acetate as a thinner. This has a low viscosity but is not very volatile. It has a low cetane so use with a cetane improver. It is an ester but not biomass, however the hmrc definition of biomass obviously assumes a mineral component or biodiesel wouldnt be classed as biodiesel! I have written asking for clarification but am not holding my breath. I have also not experimented with this solvent so it could melt your engine. I am pretty sure it will also help stabilise bio-ethanol in solution if people are interested in using this.
2) Use petroleum ether/naptha. This is cheap and not too dissimilar towhite spirit but would need to be taxed as a fuel additive. It is higher cetane than petrol but retains the volatility and low flash point so useful in the cold.
3) The problem of vapour lock and in-cylinder distillation might be overcome by adding about 20 ppm polyisobutylene succinate, which should also inhibit carbon formation and increase mpg.
I hope this is useful to someone.

So looks like if you want to screw a diesel engine, yup feel free to run it on Petrol Wink

01553 845 945
sambrads

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i apologies about putting this on and old thread but i have no idea where else to put it

I have recently bought an Isuzu 3.1 Bighorn Auto Diesel and i have considered using the veggie oil but i am scared of blowing my engine up if i mix it wrongly. Can someone tell me exactly what i have to do to use veggie oil do i mix it with petrol what % or do i mix it with diesel what % any help would be most appreciated maybe it is just me but i cant get my head round it all and dont want to break my first car.

Thanks to everyone who replies for the advice

Samantha
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

sambrads wrote:
Ok i apologies about putting this on and old thread but i have no idea where else to put it

I have recently bought an Isuzu 3.1 Bighorn Auto Diesel and i have considered using the veggie oil but i am scared of blowing my engine up if i mix it wrongly. Can someone tell me exactly what i have to do to use veggie oil do i mix it with petrol what % or do i mix it with diesel what % any help would be most appreciated maybe it is just me but i cant get my head round it all and dont want to break my first car.

Thanks to everyone who replies for the advice

Samantha

some first car  Laughing  hello and welcome by the way
50%veg oil 50%deisal when you fill up reduce slightley in winter if your still unsure go for a lesser %
of veg oil    Wink
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup 50/50 with diesel is good, just change the fuel filter after the first few tank fulls  Very Happy
Oh, and carry spare change for food as the smell makes you hungry  Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Yup 50/50 with diesel is good, just change the fuel filter after the first few tank fulls  Very Happy
Oh, and carry spare change for food as the smell makes you hungry  Laughing

sorrry forgot to mention the fuel filter thanks mark  Embarassed
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only remembered because I didnt and broke down the morning of the croston do  Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cautious at first so I filled the tank with diesel, and after about 50 miles poured in 5lt svo
Next tank fill run it for 100miles and I increased to 10ltr
Next tank went to 100 miles and 15ltr etc..
then when I was happy that it wasn't going to die or blow up or worse I now normall fill up as follows:

1. Let the fuel tank run low - less than 1/8 tank if poss
2. Fill with 40ltr of diesel (anything from Tesco to Shell standard)
3. Drive home and fill the remaining tank (35-40ltr) with the cheapest rapeseed oil I can get (90p ltr at the warehouse)
4. Smile at the fact that it is costing me the equivelant of £1.10 not £1.30 ltr

Therefor cost of 28mpg using straight diesel = 33mpg 50/50 mix - a lot better than some kiddies who thrash their Clio 1.0L  Laughing

I've been running like this for several thousand miles and have had no problems and seen no difference in power or performance.

BUT do remember to carry a spare fuel filter and be prepared to change it after a few tanks (mine was perfect so I susspect the previous owner was also running 50/50 mix.
blackdog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19    Post subject: For info - BioDiesel vs SVO Reply with quote

I did a lot of research on biodiesel after leaving uni - boy do i wish i had gone further with it... unfortunately it wasnt quite profitable against the 94ppl fuel price (!) - isn't hindsight a *beep*!

Anyhows, Bio diesel is processed veg oil (tech: transesterified methyl-ester)  made from SVO or WVO - it is 100% blendable with regular mineral diesel - both having VERY similar properties.  Bio diesel is actually slighty more volitile than mineral diesel - so 100% Bio users should see up to ~4% more power from their engine.  The processing breaks up the fatty molecules and removes the chains as glycerine.  

The problem with bio diesel is that it EATS natural rubber for a pastime.  Coupled with potential for free sodium hydroxide (lye) in the mixture if not made properly and you could have an engine wrecking disaster fuel - my advice - only buy it from someone who knows what they are doing!!!

As an alternative Veg oil is NOT blendable with mineral diesel - they have different specific gravities and viscosities so separate in the tank (when idle).  Essentially if runnng on a mix of 20/80 (etc etc) you may be trying to start on 100% cold veg oil - never an easy option!

Diesel & SVO will go together through the engine but essentially you will be burning an emulsion of the two fuels rather than a genuine blended mix... As is well known cold veg oil is like margarine (it virtually is!) so a tank heater is the order of the day.

Idea I now plan to put a 10 - 15 litre diesel tank in the 2nd battery box space under the bonnet to start and purge the engine before stopping.  2 flow and return solenoids (with dash switch) will swap to main tank (filled with 100% veg oil) once the engine and main tank are hot - the SVO will take over and run the truck for <60ppl!!!

Note - veg oils are hygroscopic (so is bio diesel) so they will collect water from the atmosphere - a water seperator on the fuel line is also a desireable feature for any other deep fat fryers out there!  

My final word - use SVO not WVO (no matter how well filtered) in your main tank (if at all)- leave the *beep* wet / acidic WVO for the biodiesel / soap manufacturers!
dxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get SVO for £.60 a litre???  

WHERE???

01553 845 945
blackdog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49    Post subject: pricing error Reply with quote

Guilty as charged... the prices have gone up.  Embarassed   Although i have a mate with an oil press mill for oilseed rape... might try and get something going with him...

The company I was thinking of have put their prices up by 60% since my quote and are now refusing to sell to non food related businesses!

I think i might start trading as "The Kanagawa Bighorn - Japanese 'Fast' Food Emporium"!!!

I intend to buy 1000 litres per order to get best price... any ideas for bulk suppliers???
sambrads

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 0:08    Post subject: 50 / 50 mix Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys sorry i havent replied earlier i am running 50 / 50 and have been now since all your advice i have had no problems and i have even driven her to Dorset and back and a fair few more miles since coming home. She runs like a dream smells like a chippy makes me very hungry lol, on average im getting about 35mpg possibly more sometimes it is better than my hubbys megane coupe cab and his computer says he gets 37mpg.

Thanks again i have just bought myself some bull bars for the front which i will be fitting this week cant wait i know i sound sad lol

Kisses

Samantha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: