QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

CB Rookie seeks advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesdecks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:07    Post subject: CB Rookie seeks advice Reply with quote

Hi,  

First off,.. I know NOTHING about CB radios, other than that I borrowed a hand held one  on a recent green laning trip in Wales, and realise how useful they can be.

Can anyone explain what a Midland set is, and how is it different from the rest ?

On e* b-a-y a Midland set is 50-60 quid, anything else is about 20, so they must be more popular.. ? ..

Do they all work on 27mHz  ?

Would an American spec one be compatible with UK ones ?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Midland 48 Multi.  Its a multi channel compatible with all the various european frequencies so you can set the country to say France and you'll get all the legal freqs in that country, useful if you travel abroad.  Don't know about the US ones but I suspect not legal here.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

An American set might just be AM as opposed to the legal UK & Europe FM so be careful with that. The AM sets are much better for sheer range and you can even talk to someone halfway across the world on 10 watts providing the ionosphere is working in your favour ("skip").

UK & Europe legal FM sets are 27 mhz and there used to be another legal band higher up but with even more limited range and are pretty much line-of-sight only, but is now withdrawn so not legal.  27 mhz is the way to go for distance but even then, it ain't that great. Probably 5 miles with a good set up in a car but it's the only legal option now.

It's quite confusing so be very careful what you by from fleabay. Check this great sit for full info: http://www.4x4cb.com/public/page.cfm?Page=762

The Home Office monitor illegal radio bands and can track trasnmissions which will result in hefty fines and equipment confiscation. I know because it happened to me.... Crying or Very sad

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

For use when laning you need UK 40 fm, they have a small circle on the front with (CB 27/81) in it.
Some later ones have 80 channels because they include midband.
The US ones are AM so stay well clear  Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a peek at the 4x4cb site... they have a handy beginners guide.

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/faqs_menu2_preview.cfm?CatID=79

Also most CB places offer well priced starter kits complete with all the various bits...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: