Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Desperate measures!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeolite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Desperate measures! Reply with quote

Well the MOT man gave me a big list of barely comprehensible descriptions which I decoded and figured out that there is a huge amount of rust and not much metal on my 93 lwb Citation.
The biggest problem is the front crossmember box section being rusted right out. Is there a replacement panel I can buy or do I have to fab sometning up from some channel?
I also need pads and brake hoses which I will get from Halfords. However I need an offside rear brake backplate. Any ideas?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that backplates on brakes were an MoT requirement.  I'm betting its gonna be a breakers or main dealers.  As to the front crossmember again, either cut one out of a scrapper or fab one.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine passed it's MOT without back plates. I took them of as they trap mud and stones Rolling Eyes

By taking them off there are no rusty crinkly bits for them to see, so they prob won't give it a thought......
moglite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the back plates are there - they have to be serviceable.

But they don't have to be there - so take 'em off.

Andy
zeolite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.
Crossmember is being fabbed up tomorrow. Tricky job though. I have removed backplates and I just crinkled them up in my bare hands.
Funny thing is that the troper looks mint from the top. Very Happy
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of that is often down to people taking them off road and not cleaning them properly afterwards.  If you've been anywhere near thick mud you need to have the wheels off, jetwash everything and even sometimes if its been particularly runny take the rear disks off and clean out the handbrake drum.  That plus a good jetwash underneath and regular wax/underbody sealant should hold the tinworm at bay.  My brakes caused real problems on the new 3.1 as some joker of a previous owner had left em caked in literally an inch of mud causing all sorts of things to corrode and stick.

gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  kinda what killed my handbrake not washing it properly everytime!!
zeolite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of welding magic from my father

brains

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy good job there m8 give your farther a pat on the back.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fabrication job.  thumbleft

BTW, looking at the pictures, I reckon it's almost certainly had a "marine encounter" sometime in it's life.....

I recommend a steam clean followed by a liberal application of Rust Converter such as Fertan or Dinitrol (inside the doors and chassis too) and a nice coating of underbody wax (Waxoyl, Fertan or Dinitrol) otherwise the dreaded tin worms will be feasting on more than just the front crossmember. Special attention to the area above the fuel tank and the very rear chassis rails behind the rear quarter bumper sections which are concealed until you remove the bumper.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
zeolite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well welding is now finished however I have another problem.
The rear offside inner brakepad is missing! The piston of the caliper has been grinding on to the disc and the disc is knackered. How the hell could the pad go missing?
Answers please!
Mike_S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowed to wear to the point it was so thin it was carried out between the disk and the caliper body? I'd check that either the outer piston (or the caliper body if floating caliper type) isn't siezed, causing the inner pad to have taken all the wear.

Believe it or not, I have seen a clutch not only worn down to the rivets, but worn to the point that all there was left was a few slivers of lining sitting in the bottom of the bellhousing and the sheet metal "spider" the linings are normally riveted to - my stepdaughter's theory is that if it moves it's in good working order!

Mike.
zeolite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

The caliper and piston seems fine. Just wear on the end of the piston from rubbing on the disc. The outer pad has a lot of meat left on it.
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a few rust holes in the chassis at the front on my Mk 1 2.8TD. Its on the u shaped crossmember (the upper piece) at the left hand end looking from the front, just before the body mount. Whats the best way to deal with this? Do I need to replace the whole cross piece?

Cheers

Keith
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine on my old MK1 was just patched.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: