2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

difficulty starting...again(92 3.1 lwb auto).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:25    Post subject: difficulty starting...again(92 3.1 lwb auto). Reply with quote

ok, so i replaced the glow plugs 8 months ago but i still have to pime the plugs 3-4 times before i get it to start easily regardless of outside temp. somedays there is no smoke, others its rough to start, idle is lumpy, and i get lots of white smoke. what else could be causing this?

-alternator is bust/dying?
-could i earth the plugs directly to the battery as well as the block?
-oil in the intercooler/intake?
-old/dying batteries?

i have also just had a service and re-tune(tappets, lube, timing), as well as replacing the starter motor

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

brains

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont hold me to this but i think i know the answer to your problem ,ithink you have a air leak in the fuel system.
JP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight. Anywhere in particular this occurs?
lotustower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not electrics if she's cranking OK.  Pumping air instead of diesel sound highly likely, does she get worse the longer she's sat and is she running smoothly all the time, if not then definitely look for an air leak.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual suspect for air in the fuel in a 3.1 are the metal pipes and rubber connections right on top of the fuel tank. The pipes can rot badly in this area and unfortunately may mean a new tank, but these are not expensive as you might think. It's an area which quietly corrodes out of sight - out of mind. To rule this out or confirm a problem you'll need to introduce a completely different supply such as from a fuel can with a tube immersed in the diesel to the pump thus by-passing the tank altogther. If it starts and runs OK from cold then you have identified the problem. You don't have to make an airtight delivery system, just make sure the tube is fully immersed in the diesel.

Another way is to replace a section of fuel line running to the pump with clear tube and you'll see the air bubbles quite clearly (if that is indeed the problem).

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the fuel take-off pipe here. You can only see it on mine because a) It's an early Bighorn without inner wheelarches (they came in '94 I believe) and b) I've had a suspension lift.. On a "normal" Trooper you wouldn't see them like this but you may if you jacked up the offside rear, let the wheel droop and removed the inner lining if there was one fitted. It looks OK on mine, and I think that's because it's done relativey few miles here in the UK (approx 20,000) and I do think the lack of inner arches stops this area being a hidden rust trap.  Take a good look at the "rusty" bits though. Next week this will be treated with FE-123 Rust Converter, Dinitrol 3125 Cavity Wax and Dinitrol 4941 Underbody Wax.....

brains

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

another place is the banjo fitting at the fuel pump is prone to cracking on the 3.1 .
JP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. She is definitely hard to start if she's been sitting for a couple of days but she runs fine once warm. Not sure about the electronics as sometimes she turns over quite easily but other times she needs to be cranked for 5-8 seconds and runs very lumpy(until she warms up a little and includes a lot of white smoke). I'll have another look into the air leak asap. Thanks again.
fee4x4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont supose you are using any water????  Head gasket leaking into cylinders????
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:

What's the black stuff on the chassis????

I recognise the brown, but the black??? is it bad???  Does it make the car go through deeper mud or something???

humm, I'm going to have to look into this 'black' chassis m'larkey...

01553 845 945
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dxmedia"]
Hard1 wrote:

I recognise the brown, but the black??? is it bad???  Does it make the car go through deeper mud or something???

Ha ha... that's what remains of the factory "underseal" - the rest is pure 100% Japanese steel with a delicate coating of the more familiar brown stuff. Look carefully and you will also see: Ta da! Shiny Bright Metal no less! Bling or what?  Laughing

It's all gone now, coated in Dinitrol's finest.....

dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hard1"]
dxmedia wrote:
Hard1 wrote:

Ha ha... that's what remains of the factory "underseal" - the rest is pure 100% Japanese steel with a delicate coating of the more familiar brown stuff. Look carefully and you will also see: Ta da! Shiny Bright Metal no less! Bling or what?  Laughing

It's all gone now, coated in Dinitrol's finest.....

Don't like it. I'm sticking to my brown.  At least it's all one colour on mine, and it matches the mud, makes me feel at home with the world.

Very HappyVery Happy

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: