2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8 TD Starting Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 18:03    Post subject: 2.8 TD Starting Issues Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a E reg 2.8TD Trooper, Its been in the garage for the last 2 weeks trying to fix a fault thats preventing it starting. He found the fault, it was one of the wires that had broke to the stop solenoid. He replaced this and it ran but now it won't run again. Now he says it is a fault with the fuel cut off solenoid in the pump. Does this sound about right?  Is there any way of testing this solenoid?

Anyone know where I can get a new solenoid as I tried all the parts places near me to no avail
The Solenoid is the type that has a long threaded projection about 1" long at one end

Cheers

Keith
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 18:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rangielover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

check theres 12v to the solenoid

unscrew the solenoid, remove the plunger and spring.

tape up the wiring connector.

if it runs it proves your solenoid is knackered. you will need to stall it in gear to stop the engine.
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a new solenoid on, its getting 12v and I still cannot get it going. There is fuel getting to the pump but not to the injectors, so its eitheir the pump or it needs bleeding, How do I bleed the pump?

How easy is it to remove and replace the pump as I have won one on e bay, just waiting for it to arrive now, I also know where there is one on a donor vehicle in case I need that, Anything else it could be or I might have overlooked?

Cheers

Keith

Trooper MK 1 2.8TD, E reg, 115K
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bleed the pump theres a 17mm (from memory) bolt on the back end of the pump between the pipes comin off to the injectors, crack that open and then using the bleed pump on top of the filter housing pump until there's no more air coming out, tighten it up and off you go.  If that doesn't work you may need to bleed it at the injectors but thats a bit more involved as you'll need to crack each pipe off a a little where it enters the injector and do it whilst turning the engine over and the pressures involved are quite high.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

na, you should be able to bleed the injectors off the manual lift pump - undo the union on the fuel line on the injector furthest from the pump, and keep pumping the manual lift pump till fuel comes out.  I've never bled a diesel engine through which you can't do the injectors on the manual pump.

There's also a slightly more risky method of bleeding involving a squirty pump (think the plastic bottles which window cleaner comes in) some petrol and someone else cranking the engine on the battery... that'll self bleed ANY diesel engine out there Wink althouth there's a certain amount of 'feel' which is needed - too much petrol and you'll be picking the head up from next doors garden Very Happy

Bet air has got in when the solinoid was moved - not had one out so don't quote me on this though...

01553 845 945
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys in the garage gave it a good fast tow to try to get it going last week, to no avail so they and me are going to look at this bleeding process next week. The guy has said he may use an electric pump too

Cheers

Keith
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Look for a different garage.

There's nothing special about the trooper engines... If he can't' bleed one in less than 10 minutes (from never having done one before) I wouldn't trust him to tighten a wheel nut.

01553 845 945
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the Troop going at last, heres how :

Had my pump that I won on e bay delivered today and I noticed it had 2 solenoids on it. So I went to the garage put a live feed onto the one hidden behind the pump I hadnt seem before and it started up first go. It ran very lumpy though when revving it with plenty of blue smoke. I then put another live feed to the other solenoid then it ran perfectly no lumpiness at all.

I reckon the first solenoind is the stop solenoid and the second one the fuel return solenoid.

Now the only thing wrong with it is the horn and the heater blower doesnt work, I am presuming it will be the Fuses.

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers

Keith
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my alternator reconditioned and its sorted out all the above problems.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd (hidden) solinoid should be the imobiliser if it's got one fitted (that's how the 1.7d isuzu engines in teh astra work)

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: