4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Processor limitations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbw13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14    Post subject: Processor limitations Reply with quote

Not sure if there are any PC techy guys here, but it's worth a shot.  Very Happy

I prefer to build my own computers after reading stacks of on-line material and such. Plus the dollar savings are huge! To put things in perspective, the machine which I put together myself cost around NZ$780 in total. A machine off the shelf with comparable specs would cost more then 3 times that.  Shocked

When choosing a processor for my current machine, the bloke said that the motherboard I had could only handle an AMD Athlon 4800+. Now, this gizmo is a socket 2, and I see bigger more powerful socket AM2 chips coming out, can I upgrade, or is there more to this then what meets the eye?

Here's the board I'm running:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000314
Currently using the AMD 64 X2 4800+ processor, yes a whole lot of numbers but it seems that specifics count.

Any help or advice on this topic would be much appreciated, oh and in English please, I'm no IT techno fella, but I'm not a digital dinosaur either.  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, sorry still shovelling coal into mine! Embarassed There are some in the know though.

LTM 24
mbw13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well after some more snooping around, I take it the guy while telling the truth in some respects, may not have done his homework; either that or better/newer things have come out on the market since I purchased the chip from him.

Found this:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Upload/Compatibility/200711011408546403A690GM2MA-CPU-A34.mht
The donk I'm using is at number 7 on that list; must say it runs like a dream, but would rather have not been put wrong in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: