All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rabbits 2" lift

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stu, Just decide what lift you want (you will be limited by the suppliers as we have one less now) and Old Man Emu springs and shocks will be fine and the price quoted here looked quite good too as they are a quality Aussie product. It really is as quite simple as they say - all you need is a jack and some spanners and oh, a long spanner bar for your torsion bars unless you are well fit. Go for 2" lift as if you go much more you may have front end alignment problems and have to change the ball joints etc. There's plenty of info re: the fitting of springs and raising of torsion bars already on here.

Just make sure that the springs and shocks are matched for your vehicle otherwise you might have your springs fall out on full suspension droop + it will be an MOT failure. However, I would recommend tyres first 'cos your ride will look real stupid with a 2" lift and stock 245 70 16's, trust me, so first go for 265 75 16 tyres which will give you a 1" lift straight away. Note, that you don't have to have longer shocks to go with your longer springs - the stock ones will work fine, they will just limit your suspension travel off-road. On-road you will not notice any difference and you can fit the longer shocks later if you need to.

With a 2" lift and bigger tyres you will ntoice some handling differences. There will be more understeer plus your vehicles Centre of Gravity will have moved upwards by the same amount as the lift, so cornering speeds in high and medium speed corners/bends will have to be reduced. Apart from that, the HD rear springs have reduced body roll and the ride is very smooth.

Just do it...... Evil or Very Mad

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 14:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

the|stu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1

Thanks mate !!

I've been pondering those OME springs all afternoon, 2" seems like a sensible goal but sadly you're right enough when it comes to the tyres I am running BFG AT 245 70 16's so I'll need a new set of tyres and some steelies. I reckon I'll just keep my BFG's as a backup set and invest in some MT's.

I wish I had thought of this when purchasing the buggers...

I suppose you live and you learn though, I wish I hadn't bothered with a bullbar and had just thrown an extra couple hundred quid at a decent winch bumper as well. So many things that I've learned after I did them Smile

Nevermind though that's some solid information for me to go off, many thanks, I will let you know how I get on !

Cheers mate !
Webby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately go with Old Man Emu.  They are a good product, which for me does exactly what it says on the tin!
You certainly don't need to do everything at once either.  I started with springs, then replace the shocks when they needed it.  So for a little over £100 you could get the springs and lift the truck.  
The springs are available in three rates.  912 is the softest, followed by the 919 and the heavy duty 929 is the stiffest.  
If you tow or load up the truck with gear from time to time then the 919 is the spring to get.  If you have a constant heavy load then the 929 spring is the one to go for, but that does not give as much lift as the others but will support more weight.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

See heres my dilema,,basically,,I need the best of all worlds which I know aint possible,,,I want the height and clearance and flexibility of a lifted motor but I also NEED it to handle,,I do a lot of stage safety work on rallies so need to be able to get thru the stages without it falling over,,,,as standard now,,it is so much fun in the woods at speed and is suprisingly drivable,,a bit tail happy but that adds to the enjoyment i think,,

I appreciate that i will lose a bit but would the stiffer springs help that?
REMF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webby wrote:
I would definately go with Old Man Emu.  They are a good product, which for me does exactly what it says on the tin!
You certainly don't need to do everything at once either.  I started with springs, then replace the shocks when they needed it.  So for a little over £100 you could get the springs and lift the truck.  
The springs are available in three rates.  912 is the softest, followed by the 919 and the heavy duty 929 is the stiffest.  
If you tow or load up the truck with gear from time to time then the 919 is the spring to get.  If you have a constant heavy load then the 929 spring is the one to go for, but that does not give as much lift as the others but will support more weight.

Webby where did you get the springs from?

Have found 919 on TBR, but they are 1" lift.

Struggling to find these springs online

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go to TBR for the springs, but only because i didn't get round to ringing them.  Was getting seriously anoyed by that point with the go get a l*** r****r type of sales patter, i was getting from the usual suspects.  The springs came from OEC international, because they were the first company to actually ring back with some options when they said they would.  They are now the main importer for TJM, which also have a range of suspension components, but i have not used them so cannot coment on them.  I used TBR for the shocks though as they are closer to me.  
I would recomend them for the service they gave me.
Webby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurrasic1412 wrote:
See heres my dilema,,basically,,I need the best of all worlds which I know aint possible,,,I want the height and clearance and flexibility of a lifted motor but I also NEED it to handle,,I do a lot of stage safety work on rallies so need to be able to get thru the stages without it falling over,,,,as standard now,,it is so much fun in the woods at speed and is suprisingly drivable,,a bit tail happy but that adds to the enjoyment i think,,

I appreciate that i will lose a bit but would the stiffer springs help that?

I would think that the springs will not change too much.  If you fill your truck with a fair amount of gear for the rallying then i would think the 919 springs would be benificial.  They are a progressive spring so give a good ride.  They have a softer top for soaking up the bumps(in my laymans terms!).
I generally drive in what would be described as a spirited manor  Smile  My truck is heavy but still handles well.  THe weight of the winch on the front does make the nose dip under heavy breaking, aided by the stiff rear springs pushing up the back.  It also leans to the front corner now when cornering fast, the centre of gravity is quite high though.  
The OME firm springs are softer than the standard so it does roll more but off good smooth roads it handles in a different league to before.  The more supple shocks mean the ride is much smoother over rough going.  I would highly recomend the OME shocks to give the best of both worlds.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that matey,,,,will bear that in mind,,,,are they reasonable money and whats delivery times like??
rabbitt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

in ref to the pic , as soon as i can get that other chappie with a standard trooper to park it in my sight for long enough i plan to take a pick of mine next to his  Twisted Evil

just gotta get him to stay still for long enough  Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: