Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Japanese '92 3.1 litre diesel Bighorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 18:47    Post subject: Japanese '92 3.1 litre diesel Bighorn Reply with quote

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has advice about buying a japanese bighorn 5 door? I have decided to import an SUV, and these seem reasonably priced; being in Canada, I have to get one that is at least 15 years old, so I'm looking at a '92 3.1 litre diesel...

I guess I'm wondering how these stack up to the Pajeros, patrols and landcruisers out there, for example, I don't know anything about the 4WD system on these "lotus handling" bighorns? And, how easy (difficult?) it might be to get parts in Canada?

Any advice is appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 18:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gromit Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 17:26    Post subject: Where in BC? Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking at one too, "mine" is a 2 door.  I have not driven it yet, but I have driven a number of Pajeros, Hiluxs, and Prados. They are all fine cars, and the Pajeros and Prados especially nice. but it is my understanding the Bighorn in question has the superior engine. it is substantially bigger which is important to me as I tow a trailer. The fuel economy is similar because the engine is not working as hard as the others to maintain highway speed. (i am told) I do know there is a lot of bad press about these cars in B.C. right now as they pertain to accidents and such (Right hand drive), but I have found it easy to adapt. In fact I drove a rhd Mini all summer. The only problem I ever have with the vans/suvs and trucks is remembering which stalk is the turn signal and which is the wiper. Smile (turn signal is on the right mostly)

You can contact me via email if you have any questions. I do the government safety inspections for a couple of local dealers. I would act soon as I have heard talk of moving the age from 15 years to 25.

Bill

Mod Edit - Email removed to prevent SPAM
Pierre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not yet sold to get a bighorn instead of a toyota landcruiser. Just wondering about durability and parts...
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early 3.1 has a pretty much bombproof engine, the 4x4 system is mechanical so no fancy servos etc.
Also the engine is old school and not all ecu controlled.
The diffs are pretty strong, i would say the only downside would be the front cv joints but that goes for most 4x4's with ifs.

I cant say about parts over there, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:49    Post subject: POWER!!!! Reply with quote

Again I haven't driven the Bighorn yet, (hopefully tomorrow)  but If you go landcruiser it is best to get the larger engine. there are a few issues with the 2.4 and it is not terribly powerful if you are towing etc.  It's the same engine in the Hilux.  I am told the other engine is far better, though I have yet to see one come through my shop.

So... where in B.C. are you?  If you are near Parksville stop by the shop (Errington Mechanical) some time.

Bill
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Trooper 3.1, but if had the choice ( pennies)
I would go for a landcruiser.
(again if I had the money)
Value for money, the Isuzu wins hands down.
Proper workhorse, probably the best towing vehicle on the road.
The only problem Ive heard on here, regarding the Japanese market Bighorn has been front cross member fractures on some of the early MK11 models, if you do a search on here its been posted.

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1128

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
biggus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Bighorn is great but I was wondering why you don't go for a Silverado, Blazer or Suburban or something for the same sort of money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: