Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1989 Trooper 4WD to 2WD Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:31    Post subject: 1989 Trooper 4WD to 2WD Conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone converted a 4X4 into a 2WD vehicle. With the price of fuel, would be nice to shed the weight of the front axle. Looks like it can be done except for covering the holes where the splines go into the hubs? JCS
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy.

Just leave teh little leaver in 2wd?

There's auto hubs, so no issues with spinning the front diffs.

01553 845 945
biggus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  What a ridiculous idea.

Why not just get a large 2wd car instead?
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landrover did supply some series vehicles as 2wd to mostly military customers abroad, theres even a few 2wd lairportables knocking around, IIRC one was a parade vehicle used by the Queen.  The idea was they were used for on road duties only but they are pretty rare these days.  Pretty bloody pointless too.  I'd just get a big estate or a van/people carrier if you need the carrying capacity.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
JCS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 13:54    Post subject: How innovative Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Very easy.

Just leave teh little leaver in 2wd?

There's auto hubs, so no issues with spinning the front diffs.

For two reasons. One to reduce weight and save fuel and maintenance and two, because the front axle assembly is making noise (and yes there is oil in it) and the repair cost will exceed the value of the entire vehicle. I don't know about your trooper but my front end turns while traveling, even when in 2 wheel drive. Primarily because my hubs gears are crushed and there are no solenoids controlling them as some have bentioned. The only thing that does not happen is it gets no power from the transfer case drive shaft. I could put in manual hubs but that too would defeat my plan. To reduce weight, save fuel and stop the noise. But thanks for the suggestion.
Arthur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked  how much you paying for a gallon out there then?
Mitsu L200 Animal!
JCS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 14:00    Post subject: Answer to 4WD to 2WD Conversion Reply with quote

Please accept my apology for posting my question. I thought maybe the forum was part of a technical group who could directly answer a question without sarcasm and with answers directly related to my question. I have owned the vehicle since infancy, have done all the service myself with all the original shop manuals. And was pretty sure I could do what I asked about. However, not being a know it all, I elected to ask for other professional advice. I believe I posted under Mechanical? I will see if I can un-join the guild and look for a mechanics forum. Thanks for the participation. JCS
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be so sensitive, this is a friendly forum and people are just offering sensible advice.  

If you simply fit free wheeling hubs you will stop the front diff spinning and save a little energy but don't expect major gains in economy, maybe 1 or 2 mpg, same with the weight saving losing the diff, it's not going to make much difference to the MPG/performance.  You'd need to also remove the front prop and blank off the transfer box or what maybe a better option would be to look for a suitable 2wd gearbox to mate to the engine, that way you'll lose the weight of the transfer box too.  What may be a better idea in that case is to go for an engine swap to a 2wd diesel.

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this is an owners club so most members are not professional mechanics, just enthusiasts and its a UK based  forum so some of the humour and approach may be a little different to your usual forums. TBH asking a bunch of 4x4 enthusiasts how to turn your vehicle into a 2wd is likely to get you a few bemused answers!  No one is trying to be offensive but the amount of engineering involved to do this sort of conversion safely would IMO make buying a cheap 2wd station wagon or van a much more viable alternative.

the-toby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the setup is the same as a paj/shogun,,,,,

the c/v joint at the hub take this apart removing the ball bearings,,,remove drive shafts from the diff/axle
drop the front prop and take out the cross shaped joint at the t/box end,,,what is left should be secured to the box so it cant fall out

you now have 2wd
HTH   Paul
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with i would strip the locking hubs and get them to unlock thus stopping the front diff from turning, then you could look into modifying the outer cv's to creat blanks to stop water ingress into the wheel bearings, then i suppose you could remove the front diff completley.
But for the 60 or 70lb you would lose in wieght i would say would not save any fuel, in my opinion the best course of action would be to get those hubs unlocked as that will save fuel.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were in the UK I'd say get a 2.8 turbo diesel, fit a front mounted intercooler, optimise the fuel pump, gearbox from a Vauxhall Brava pickup which used a 2wd version of this engine, re-engineer the front end to lose the diff and away you go.

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Phil, i'm sure there maybe some Isuzu KB pickups in the salvage yards over there  Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you value your time?

Say you rate your self $20 per hour? (or what every you earn at work)

Stripping out all the front wheel drive components is going to cost in real terms more than 1. The amount of fuel your likely to save. 2. The cost of a. Putting some manual hubs on. b. Fixing the front diff problem. c. Selling the trooper and buying something 2wd.

If your trying to increase the fuel economy by lightening the vehicle, you'll make far far better savings running on bio diesel or slowing down 5mph. The fuel ecomony increase by lightening by the weight of the front diff will be insignifican IMHO.

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: