2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

PMR 446mhz the new"CB"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:06    Post subject: PMR 446mhz the new"CB"? Reply with quote

Tried ch19, and left the CB scanning, spoke to two people in two weeks of been connected,(that was just for radio check), CB seems to be a load of pants now in East yorks

I use pmr446 handhelds at work, seems to be the new "cb" lots of people on 446mhz.
Just seen a cheap yaesu mobile, bought it and has not arrived yet, does anyone now if my springer twig will suffice or should I get a dedicated UHF twig?
Not into it that much, do I still need to swr it in? Confused

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrub the swr ing question, I know the answer is yes.
I see I can get a swr meter that covers the frequencies I will be using.

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMR466 is a UHF system with a low 500mW out put where CB is VHF and generally 5W - with this in mind CB has u much greater range.
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Craig tried using pmr on our way to the lakes they had very bad coverage (more like toys) Sad
But with CB i can chat to people in north wales and thats over 30 miles  Shocked

ps. 5 miles on a bad day  Wink

I suppose my point is pmr is ok for chatting local but not for mobile  Smile
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMR will struggle between cars as you are asking a UHF signal to transmit thru two metal boxes  Rolling Eyes  The regulations behind PMR Radio's specify they must have a fixed antenna ... to get round this there is now a product on the market with external antenna... The Albrecht Tectalk Mag.

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alinco handheld I use is good for at least 8 miles I was chatting to two guys from Bridlington to Driffield whilst mobile, no metal box problems there, the yaesu is a 50 watt output, so should be very good, not very legal I suppose.
There are also lot s of  uhf handhelds on fleabay with a 5 watt output on 446.

I'd love to stick to standard 40 fm, the TTI rig functions really well but the amount of people on I come accross on air. I'll have to change my handle to BILLY (NO MATES)
The other thing is to decide why bother, days have gone for idle chit/chat on the cb. (thats what i'm doing right now lol)if and when I get a chance for green laning, the CB should be perfect, but going off the track 4 times ayear, I'd like to get more use from the rig.

Also noticed lots of RF noise coming through on on 27meg whilst driving round, as oppose to crisp uhf.
I'll tell you guys how it goes.
I get the feeling I'm dissing the old CB,
but locally to me the cb diehards have ditched the CB and gone on 446Mhz

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ wrote:
The Alinco handheld I use is good for at least 8 miles I was chatting to two guys from Bridlington to Driffield whilst mobile, no metal box problems there, the yaesu is a 50 watt output, so should be very good, not very legal I suppose.
There are also lot s of  uhf handhelds on fleabay with a 5 watt output on 446.

As you say... these are not legal Rolling Eyes
baldrickxjr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a icom 207 moded thats good up2 35 watts on 446.
**ROB**

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does seem the ol' cb is starting to die a death, 2 years ago when i had my frontera setup with a cb i could get loads of people from round my area chatting away and generally have a good signal and service but now tho it seems that its getting quite quiet around these parts, the only place round here i get a good signal is at the base of pendle hill where usually i can pick up a good 25 mile radius,
I've seen all these boosters etc on eebuygum are they any good or just a load of rubbish????
wisecobandit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is most of the die hard fans have gone onto ham etc and 2mtr is making a major impact in long distance stuff abroad.Once you have your ham licence or whatever it is your not restricted to the 4watt max output.
Atleast it will leave the more of the standard fm cb channnels free for 4x4's etc altho the ham users can cause you interference as some bands run very close to the cb fm frequency.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 22:58    Post subject: Summer skip talk Reply with quote

Hi.... I live in Southern Spain, and use my old English cb radio to talk to other "brits" in the uk using only 5watts output and a good power mike, i drive up on to the local mountain tops and just call out on channel 19. There are a regular group of uk guys that often chat on ch32/33 and sometimes get a good network going with others in Wales and sometimes Scotland and with me in Spain. Ok, it may not be everyones cup of tea, but i enjoy it.
All the best....Dave
The Laird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the 446 transivers ar great we get real long distance communication. The wife can call me in for my dinner no matter how far up
the garden I am.  Lets face it they are CARP. For proper UHF comunication I use ex police Motorola HT600 UHF radios on the business users frequencies.
5 Watt output  and no interference.  Licence?   Cheap. Just go through the hoops and off you go! Very Happy

Oh. Edit.  I did the CB thing before it was legal. It was carp then too!   19 for a copy!   My usual reply was ' never mind all that *beep*, what do you want?.....
this is Clive in Clifton.  Over?'
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh 446 is a toy unless you boost the power, then it would make it even more useless if more that 2 people did it.
They say on the pack 'up to 3 miles' mine was 3 streets top.
IMO they are kids toys and nothing more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, running illegal equipment on 446Mhz WILL get the attention of OFCOM - but they really don't care about 11m anymore.

You might get away with running 5W, but 50w is a bit over-the-top.  The one thing you have going for you is that you're mobile, so therefore a lot more difficult to catch!

446mhz will soon get sooooo overcrowded you won't want to use it anyway!  

11m CB is by far and away the cheapest and most robust solution for off-roading talk between you and your fellow laners!

For proper interference free private use I agree with Clive - get yourself an OFCOM general UK license (£60 for 3 years!)  They will allocate you your own frequencies and CTCSS/DCTS  tones.  You can buy refurb'ed Icom handsets programmed to your frequency for about £40.  Job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: