QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

unidentified leak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good  Very Happy
The belts are just belts, no timing involved just make sure you dont overtighten them as that will do the bearings in,
A good test is you should be able to twist the centre of the longest part 90 degree, if its to slack it will slip and squeel but that better than to tight as you can adjust it up a touch  Wink
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 21:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lazybones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 21:24    Post subject: your a star Reply with quote

your a star m8 u really are and so are quite a few other people who have helped me out in the past thats on this site u have put my mind to rest and im looking forward to getting to grips with it as soon as poss thanks again
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you shouldn't need to take the rad out - although it's only a couple of bolts and your going to have to drain the system anyway, so safer...

01553 845 945
lazybones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:10    Post subject: flushed Reply with quote

flushed earlier today m8 and took the radiator out to give it a good clean from either end then took off the thermostat checked to make sure fully functional ie tested in a pan of water to make sure she was opening and closing, cleaned expansion bottle then put it all back together just so i wouldnt lose any bits and bobs only thing i didnt bother to do was put any coolant into her as i new it would  leak out by the morning but as soon as i have fixed it i will put some in only thing i forgot to ask was while  i am  taking the water pump out will i be able to identify any cracks or  seals gone i should be able to spot something shouldnt i ?
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, unless its the gasket between the pump and the engine its a sealed unit as such, the water will be pypassing the bearings and leaking through a lil breather hole.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take the fan and cowl off to confirm it  Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:32    Post subject: gotcha Reply with quote

now im starting to understand, this is what my father couldnt understand in how it was leaking although he cant see too well he said they should be a sealed unit from what he remembered and couldnt understand how it could leak but you nailed it on the head cheers, thing is its the only thing you cant see properly for a leak although i had a good idea after looking it was coming from there i was well put of going near it thinking it was a timing belt lol
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing is safe  Very Happy  just make sure its leaking from there before spending  Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:54    Post subject: will do Reply with quote

i was thinking that, its give the weather good tomorrow so it shouldnt take too long say a few hrs hopefully to get the rad out prop off and check its defintely coming from there then i can go from there ill check the breakers first if it turns out to be that although 99% sure now after speaking to u and having a good look already but i doubt ill get any thing from the breakers so it will prob be milners which i have no qualms about as have bought from before good quick service and helpful but if i can save a few quid i will as  things are tight as always
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can put your finger on the bottom of the pump just after you've switched off the engine, there's a little drain hole on the bottom (there is on most pumps), if your finger comes away wet, then it's leaking past the internal seals.

01553 845 945
lazybones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 23:03    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

what does that mean that its the pump and not the gasket
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.... that's a definitive check if your finger comes away wet. Might be evaporating as steam though, so if finger isn't wet doesn't mean that it's not the problem...   I used to have a mini with a shafted water pump which a well placed match stick resolved Wink

01553 845 945
lazybones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 23:21    Post subject: umm Reply with quote

its leaking even when turned off as last night topped up and tryed to see where leak was coming from and was near enough sure it was coming from here but night moved in and i couldnt see any more so left it then this morning went out and it was still leaking a steady drip even when off so if im lucky tommorrow when taking every thing off i shouldnt  even need to start her to see the leak but if it has stopped leaking i will fill her back up and start it up to get a better look cheers dx
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya m8, where about are you, if I haven't asked before! Looking back I see you had a 3.0 what happened to it?

LTM 24
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:40    Post subject: Re: umm Reply with quote

lazybones wrote:
its leaking even when turned off as last night topped up and tryed to see where leak was coming from and was near enough sure it was coming from here but night moved in and i couldnt see any more so left it then this morning went out and it was still leaking a steady drip even when off so if im lucky tommorrow when taking every thing off i shouldnt  even need to start her to see the leak but if it has stopped leaking i will fill her back up and start it up to get a better look cheers dx

careful putting your hand into a running engine bay Wink

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: