QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

factory fitted immobiliser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ft100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 17:20    Post subject: factory fitted immobiliser Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the factory fitted alarm and immobiliser on a 2000 troooper is thatcham approved? My insurance won't cover me for theft until i have one fitted. The auto electrician who has quoted to fit a thatcham approved alarm thinks that the original unit meets thatcham 2 requirements but is not 100% sure. has anybody else had similar problems with their insurance? if so how did you manage to convince the insurance that the factory fitted system meets the standard. I would be gratefull for some good news, afterall Iv'e had enough problems with this...... can't find the right word. thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 17:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fifth4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to my insurance company the factory fitted alarm and immobiliser on my '97 trooper wasn't thatcham approved and I had to have one fitted. Got mine from a place in Birmingham. I only had to have an immobiliser fitted for ins. purposes but had the alarm fitted as well and so now have remote central locking Smile
KevinF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 20:02    Post subject: No Reply with quote

Confirmed. It is Thatcham approved as an immobiliser, but not as an alarm installation, on account of not including interior ultrasonic. You'll need to get an alarm retrofitted.

KevinF.
ft100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, The insurance company require a certificate to validate it, I have tried my local isuzu dealership but in all honesty they are useless. any ideas as to how I could obtain a certificate? I dont require an alarm for the insurance, just the immobiliser, I just thought if I was going to have to pay for an immobiliser I might as well upgrade the alarm at the same time. Thanks
gotalast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 21:38    Post subject: factory alarm on 2000 trooper Reply with quote

If you go to the Thatcham site there is a section where you can check what the spec your alarm is and to which category it is approved. The standard factory fit model is not very good but it is adequate for where I live in West Berks and I have been with two different insurance companies now and they simply asked if alarm was fitted.
ft100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the thatcham site but the trooper isn't listed, just about every other vehicle is though.
ft100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have phoned thatcham to ask about the factory fitted system, they have confirmed that it DOES NOT meet their requirements.this may be of use to people who have simply upgraded their systems by adding a thatcham approved alram, by having just the alarm fitted some people assume their vehicle is at catagory 1 when in fact by not having the immobiliser upgraded at the same time it renders the the upgraded alarm useless(in the insurance companies eyes) This would have the effect of making the policy void for theft. Thanks for all the response.
KevinF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked Thatcham the wrong question. On its own the Isuzu immobiliser is not approved.

With (some types of) interior ultrasonic alarm retrofitted, the ensemble does constitute an approved system.

I am with Tesco (currently, formerly with Bell Direct). Both happily accepted this type of installation - Bell with a certificate proving the retrofit, Tesco with simply a letter from me confirming the type of system.

Sheesh.

K.
ian roby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DONT WANT TO SOUND A BIT DAFT HERE BUT I JUST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A THATCHAM APROVED DISCLOK ( IE ) ITS NOW IMOBLISED AND ITS A GOOD VISABLE DETERANT SO NO BUST DOORLOCKS ETC BECAUSE THE THIEF WONT GO TO ALL THE TROUBLE OF TRYING TO GET ONE OF THESE OFF (( I HOPE ))
KevinF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 21:58    Post subject: Theft Reply with quote

You know the most effective way of ensuring your Trooper does not get nicked?

Buy a 3.0 DT of course!

No-one in their right mind would steal it!

Rgds to all.

KevinF.
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 22:10    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Your wrong there KevinF! There must still be more like you and me out there who didnt know or we would have thought longer before buying one.

Dafydd (2000 4JX1 commercial)
CraigAUS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not wrong.
I am told that the factory fitted immobiliser is sequenced to the engine ECU. If either breaks down you need to replace both.
fifth4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted because your insurance company says so then you stand a good chance of messing things up with the Engine ECU as seems to have happened with my Troop Sad
suzu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

craig with reference to the ecu's they can be coded individually but you need all sorts of codes to do it and you don't have to replace them both if one goes down.
CraigAUS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fair enough.

The reason I mentioned this was due to a problem I had in 2001.
In Australia we didn't receive the turbo/strainer recall.
My vehicle broke down and the local dealers were stumped on what was wrong with it. They tried everything from injectors to oil gallery exchange, even removed the head, exchanged the wiring harness and of course the ECU.
But when they replaced the ecu they pulled half my dash apart. When I questioned them over this they told me the ecu and immobiliser were coded together and had to be exchanged as a set.

I believe at this time they were learning a lot about these vehicles.

The fault was eventually found to be the oil strainer allowing air into the oil feed for the injectors.

This took the vehicle off the road for a month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: