QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Basic off road setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muddy L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Basic off road setup. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Once trooper is sorted i intend to do a bit of laneing. But what would people recommend as the basics that you must/should do to your trooper to make the experience both safe and enjoyable?
All suggestion's welcome.
Cheers, muddy.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Muddy L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what gear would you take with you?
Muddy.
chikoroll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

all terrain/mud terrain tyres

check you have a jack, and can change a tyre
ensure you have front AND rear recovery points!

hand winch + towstrap/winch extension strap
snatch strap
tyre guage - deflate tyres to 16psi with a key or stick
air compressor - 90 or 150L/min

that should do fine
98 Holden Jackaroo LWB, 3.0T/D (Australia)
94 Holden Jackaroo LWB, 3.1T/D (Australia)
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a can of worms, lanes are for a nice drive out and should not be a challenge.
All you should need is a tow strop and another truck with you, if a lane is so muddy or washed out that you would need more then dont drive it as you risk causing even more damage and the ROW officer slapping a TRO on it.
The best thing to do is tag along with a group that is familiar with the route.  Smile

<Moved To Correct Section>
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
This is a can of worms, lanes are for a nice drive out and should not be a challenge.
All you should need is a tow strop and another truck with you, if a lane is so muddy or washed out that you would need more then dont drive it as you risk causing even more damage and the ROW officer slapping a TRO on it.
The best thing to do is tag along with a group that is familiar with the route.  Smile

* Right of Way

Just thought I'd clear it up in case any newbies didn't realise what it meant Wink

Alright brain, you don't like me and i don't like you, so let's just do this thing and I'll go back to killing you with beer

Muddy L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the comments.
Will be getting second set of wheels with off road Tyres (when i find some cheap wheels Wink). I'll also be looking for a high lift jack.
With regards to recover points i presume people fit "extra" ones. Whats the best/easiest options for this?
What tow strops are suitable? (What about lifting strops? Just as i can sometimes get them free).
I know i've askes a few questions here but im keen to get out there as soon as its all sorted and start enjoying. I dont want to turn up and spoil others days out due to lack of equipment.
Cheers all, muddy.
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only laning then the Trooper does not need any mods, funny thing is believe or not........ it was made to go off road  Shocked
Its also fitted with recovery points  Wink
Lifting strops are fine, I have a 5 metre one rated at 5000kg but 2500kg is plenty  Smile
Dont be drawn into thinking that driving lanes is anything but driving a road that is not drivable in a ford focus, granted there is a few but you really dont want to be thinking of those for quite a while unless you want to trash it on rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigcolbee wrote:
markymoan wrote:

* Right of Way

Just thought I'd clear it up in case any newbies didn't realise what it meant Wink

While we're expanding TLA's what's a TRO then ?
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic Regulation Orders such as these
http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=16&id=139&Itemid=1280

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY Marky  Smile
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to getting yourself a highlift jack, there's not a lot of places on a standard trooper that you can jack up on! can't jack on the sills, other option would be to pick up a 'wheel mate' adapter to go with it so can lift it by the wheel then put an axle stand underneath  Wink
Recovery points, your truck should have the standard tow hooks at the front, if you've got a tow bar, although not ideal if your really stuck, you can use that.
Tow straps and a couple of rated shackles in the boot are always a good idea.
A cb, it's good to talk and can get one fairly cheap, not as important as some recovery gear and tools but a handy addition, if your at the back of a group and have a problem or even at the front and there's something people need to know, obstacle in the way, people in a field thinking they can't be seen  Wink  
don't go alone, 2 vehicles min, if your alone and get stuck, have an accident, break down etc a nice day out can be turned around!
As Mark says, if your only planning on a bit of nice gentle laning you don't need to have a modded truck, there are some lanes that will cause damage, some are quite rocky (peak district) and some can be scratchy (can get overgrown in summer) as always if in doubt don't drive it! There's plenty of gentle lanes to be found though. Again as Mark said, if all muddy don't make it a mess, go to a pay and play site for mud!
Bigcolbee
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wirdy wrote:
Bigcolbee wrote:
markymoan wrote:

* Right of Way

While we're expanding TLA's what's a TRO then ?

Missed that one  Embarassed

Alright brain, you don't like me and i don't like you, so let's just do this thing and I'll go back to killing you with beer

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaaat? You missed the B.O.A.T Col?  Laughing

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: