QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Timing belt V6 3.5L gas 2001 Trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DS9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11    Post subject: Timing belt V6 3.5L gas 2001 Trooper Reply with quote

Good day all

I have a 2001 Trooper V6 3.5L Trooper.  I replaced the timing belt according to the shop manual for my trooper.  It would not start.  I took it apart and the timing marks are correct.  I went back to the shop manual and discovered that the gears in the heads are not 1:1 they are 0.75:1 (cam to pulley) and the cylinder head to pulley to crank pulley is 1:1.5 so it adds up to the 1:2 cam to crank ratio.  With this in mind there are 16 possible combinations you can have the alignment marks line up.  The problem is only 1 of the 16 is correct.  Does anyone know how to figure out the cam alignment without taking the cylinder head covers off (pain in the neck to remove) to see the gears?   Mad

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, You are saying that the orginal cam/crank set has got disturbed and how to get back to the original starting point ?

I think its cam covers off only to see but I might be wrong somebody may know a trick for it .

Only thing is what manual are you working from is it a proper Isuzu one ? It should say  its number 2 piston on TDC when the marks are lined up as its a V
engine -  key in the drive pulley is at about 3 o'clock.
DS9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I do have the correct manual for it and yes #2 cylinder needs to be in TDC.  I read the manual again and in the next chapter in the cylinder head rebuild and assembly section there is a little blurp about the head alignment but nothing in the timing belt section.  I did some more research and I think you are correct that the covers come off.  There are 4 positions the head pulley can be in, 1 out of 4 alignment positions there is no CW or CCW force on the pulley when aligned.  Once I take the valve covers off I will post how to figure out the correct position of the heads without taking off the covers so others do not run into the same prob.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: