All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

alloy wheel cleaner

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - and I'd happily fill a thread about valeting!

If the sort of thing I'm talking about doesn't get the wheels clean, then they are pitted and adding caustic is only going to make this worse and worse.

Pitting or indeed delamination of the lacquer are a nightmare on alloys, the only thing to do is get them refurbished.  

One way to avoid damage is to never let the pads run low on the brakes - when the metal backing hits the disc you get extremely small extremely hot filings thrown off which eat through the lacquer (melt it) on contact.  These then rust - which is why some alloys look rusty.

These holes in the lacquer then allow water in and after a few winters expanding and contracting you get an air gap creeping across the wheel under the lacquer and possibly the paint too.

Refurb time.

Coincidentally around this time in a wheels life, the inside (between the beads under the tyre) can turn porous - you'll know because they tyre pressures drop to abouot 20psi and you get sidewall damage.

A tyre fitter can apply sealer but its a stopgap.  They need refurbed.

Refurbs should ideally start with a complete shotblasting and then either acid etch primer and paint of choice all over or if you are so inclined a powder coating.  I don't like powder coating as I can't repair it - I can slap paint on.

One of my mates uses spray stone chip on his wheels.  They end up matt black and are easy to touch up.  They clean easily, don't really need much cleaning actually.

but my advice is if you think you need strong acid or caustic cleaners, you actually don't - you need new wheels or a refurb.  Strong cleaners will only make it worse faster.

CJ
1993 Isuzu Trooper 3.1TD Duty 5 Door (Is that 6 doors?)
1994 Mercedes e220 Estate Auto 7 Seater
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The Laird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some cheap wheel cleaner from B & Q.   Goes under the name of 'No Nonsense'  metal claener & restorer.
It is corrosive: it contains the same stuff that's in wonder wheels.  Phosphoric acid.  WEAR GLOVES, Please.
CJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever got wonder wheels or similar product in your eyes, mouth or a cut on the skin?

It is nasty nasty stuff.   Surprised

Why would you want to paint corrosive stuff like that on your wheels which cost £hundreds to replace?

Answer: Lazyness.  It's easier to slap some runny fluid on your wheels and hose them down and hey presto, they look clean again.   Razz

For a few years and then they'll be completely shot to pieces.

Take a few moments and use less potent stuff.  You'll find it is easier in the long run.

Look at it this way: I put very good quality wax on my alloys.  It makes them easier to clean and protects them from the elements.  Many brands make wax specifically for wheels.   Cool

Use something corrosive just once and all that good work and wax are gone, washed away leaving your wheels exposed to the elements.

So take some time, polish and wax them twice a year and in between times you'll hardly have to try to clean them, and certainly you'll not have to use anything nasty.  

Think of the environment if that helps - washing acids and caustics all over your driveway is bad for your tarmac and bad for the environment.  And your wheels.  And your tyres.  And the valves and wheel weight adhesives.   Exclamation

Come to think of it why would anyone in their right minds use potent stuff?   Confused

Oh yeah, I already answered that.   Laughing

CJ
andywindle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread is in danger of boring the c*** out of everyone. Read the posts and make your own mind up, I think all the information has been discussed . . . unless someone knows better?
The Laird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get bored by a WI meeting, but themn I wouldn,t go to one or stay at one.
CJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I am off my hobby horse again  Wink

CJ
CJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, if carefully written information about how best (form one perspective) to clean alloy wheels is boring to you, perhaps you shouldn't read threads titled "Alloy wheel cleaner"....?

Might save you getting bored. Rolling Eyes

Laughing  Cool  Wink  Smile  Very Happy

CJ
andywindle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were off your horse ?? Chill lol
CJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afterthought remount.

Frosty cool.  Cool

CJ
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently getting round polishing these wheels, un lacquered mag alloys.  Total PITA as they are quite heavily corroded.  I have the wheel polishing kit from frosts with mops that fit in a drill but its still a git to get to some areas.  Using Mothers mag alloy polish and then a sealer and a layer of wax.  They look good when they are shiny though.  Thank god the troop has laqcuered wheels, a quick squirt of wheel cleaner, some soapy water and they're clean.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
CJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't envy that job, but nice pickup.

My old 7-series had those cross spoke bbs alloys, and they were major pita to clean until I came up with my system.  Lacquered ok, just fiddly.

Unlacquered....crikey.

CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: