4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

leak from small filter after oil change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:50    Post subject: leak from small filter after oil change Reply with quote

Hi all, did a filter and oil change last night (both oil filters).  Shoved 7ltrs of 5/30 in, started engine and noticed oil dripping from the small filter.  Tried tightening it which slowed it down a bit but it still dripped.  This morning have just drained oil out again (ouch, wallet) and removed filter to see if there was some muck around the seal.  Have cleaned it all off but before I stick another 7ltrs of oil in is there anything obvious that i'm missing?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mork_77
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i remember someone having a leak and i think it was because a rubber seal from the old filter was still on so the new filter wouldn't fit properly and leaked.
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did that Embarassed removed the old filter, put the new 1 on and then left a trail of oil for a week (lost about 3 litres)
all because i never noticed the old seal was stuck on the filter housing (they dont like 2 seals Wink )

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old seal was definately still attached to the old filter Smile

Before topping back up I had a chat to Cowman and we came to the conclusion that there was either some debris in the seal or a duff filter.  Just had it running and all is fine (fingers crossed - there are a couple of small drips but I think it's just surface oil which got everywhere!

One thing however, is that the oil level on the dipstick is slightly over the top mark - do I need to drain some off or will it be okay?  Going on holiday tomorrow (in the truck) and don't want to risk anymore problems!
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I canged my small filter I had same problem. Just took it off again and cleaned up the sealing face on the engine replaced and all was fine.
Its not easy to get to as you now know having done it twice.
just for next time though, You dont need to drain the oil to change the filter. Could have saved yourself a few quid.
I would be inclined to get the exess oil out if you can. Maybee you can siphon it out from the dipstick tube. Its large enought to get a fair old pipe down.
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm wrote:
just for next time though, You dont need to drain the oil to change the filter. Could have saved yourself a few quid.

*beep* Confused
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do it up tight ? 85psi that seal has  to cope with and I wont ask if you used a genuine one  Razz
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was tight - couldn't get any more turn on it!  I'm afraid it wasn't a genuine one - Milners special which I usually use and have no problems with.  What is the difference between original and non original?

Will I need to drain some oil back out to get it lower on the dipstick?  It's hovering around the top mark Confused
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the oil level is around the top mark on the stick that should be fine. As long as it is not way over.
Woulnt worry about 1/4"over but no more.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

1psi was the difference last time i measured a genuine against a non genuine, the genuine had the higher oil pressure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: