All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

where to mount the Aerial on the roof?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spongebob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:15    Post subject: where to mount the Aerial on the roof? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have purchased a springer aerial and will be fitting it over the next few days. I've already decided to fitting it on the roof and have a mount ready. I will be drilling the roof so would like to get it right.

I was looking to fit it bang in the middle of the roof above my courtesy light on the interior to hide the fitting. The only issue I have is my sunroof. I'm not worried about the ability to open the sunroof (its the one which tilts up at the rear and slides back) but would the sunroof have an adverse effect on the ground plane of the aerial? would I be better off fitting it further back so I have an even ground plane around the aerial?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Eddie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on off roading the roofs not the best place for it
spongebob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first i was thinking of fitting it on the drivers side wing but after reading various posts thought this would give me a poor signal towards the drivers side.

as i say before fitting it would like to iron out these little details, would it really be that bad on the roof? I have heard of magmounts falling off, but thought a drilled mounting would be sufficient enough.

Cheers
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is at the back of the roof and never had problems, dont worry about groundplane etc, there is so few people use it that getting out isnt a problem  Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Marky

Is yours a mag mount or bolted to the roof?
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag mount on this one (wife wont let me drill), both my mk1's where bolted in the same place and my CB was bolted through the roof and powered from the interior light  Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think i may go for slightly further forward from yours with mine being LWB.

The missus dont know about drills etc so I wont let her worry about those details. Would there be any implications on MOT's drilling the roof? never thought of it before now.

Cheers
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with mot, I did mine at the back so I didnt have to remove all the roof lining  Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

good plan!

I presume the range you achieve is more than ample for green laning. I'm not going to sit in the truck talking to the wierdos round here with a cuppa on a night.

Thanks again Marky

Eddie
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant get a minimum of 3-5 miles then there is a problem, I was sat outside my house (Bolton) chatting to a member here that was on snake pass, thats about 25 miles ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 miles seems enough for a days laning!

Marky youve been a legend, exactly what i needed to know.

many thanks for your help and i'm sure it wont be the last.

Cheers

Eddie
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of laning, theres a group going out in the morning North Yorkshire, its down in the green lanes section and Col is going down from your way to meet a few peeps  Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to come down however moneys tight just after xmas. gotta replace the rubber on the 21st jan. am defo up for the next trip/day out/meet whatever really.

Dispite owning 2 4x4s I aint ever been off road in either, The other one has a green oval on it (dare i mention on this forum) although is a 1964 series 2a, needs work doing to it, was bought on a whim in feb.
m0jfk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 22:27    Post subject: Go Stick it Reply with quote

Put mine just so it was at the back of the map reading light, remove the light get a hole drill bit, drill up through the roof, get your mount and screw it iup . now feed the coax down past the sun visor roof lining down the drivers side front pillar, feed it over the top of your gas, clutch, brake pedal and over to the centre console...mount the cb there or in the dash.

The location makes it just slightly bias towards the back in the terms of signal strength but you will get a very low SWR if your antenna is mounted direct to a metal base rather than use a mag mount.

You can buy an adaptor that makes it possible to just twist and turn to remove the antenna from the roof so you dont have to leave it on for off roading and risk loosing it up in the trees.
CJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a wilson magmount and never worried about it falling off - the mag is excellent and the entire whip is flexible.  

I stick it in the middle of the roof.  

One thing to remember - if green laning, not an issue but at play days or RTVs - anywhere you get spectators - there may be a requirement to remove it before driving a stage - risk of whipping about when you lean the car over and poking somone in the eye.

You'd not usually use the cb on rtvs anyhoo, but worth remembering.

I use mine for convoys and laning mostly.

Wherever you place the ariel, get the SWR set really well and it'll be fine.  Moving it about can dramatically affect the SWR and if it is too far out it can damage your rig, let alone stop your performance.

CJ
1993 Isuzu Trooper 3.1TD Duty 5 Door (Is that 6 doors?)
1994 Mercedes e220 Estate Auto 7 Seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: