4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Play in steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnborris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Play in steering Reply with quote

My 92 3.1 diesel citation which I have had just under a year now seems to have play in the steering. It is only really noticable on the motorway, around 80'ish, I have to be constantly correcting the line when overtaking, and the play means moving the steering wheel left to take up this play and then correct the line....and then the same in towards the right etc...

I have had the steering checked out at a National tyre garage, and they can find nothing wrong with it, of course they do not drive it.

The car has done 180K and runs fine and apart from a slight oil leak which I cannot stop (looked everywhere, replaced the lower sump gasket, gunked it all clean....but still no luck)

It towed a 5 berth 22 foot caravan 2,000 miles around France last August...

Is this play normal, and if it is not track rod ends, is there some adjustment in the steering rack that would make things better?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

harald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at top of steering box under bonnet you will see a turn screw with a locking nut at its base jack the front of the car up so tyres are not on the road turn steering wheel right to full lock losen locking nut titen turn srew until you feal resistance then slaken it off just a bit and tighten locking nut put it back on all 4rs and turn tyres to full lock if you hear steering pump scream you have set it to tite so losen it of a bit same goes for when driving and the steering is hard just losen it of a bit
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the steering box Embarassed Mine has a fair bit of play in it, garage took it for a spin earlier and obviously wants to charge me for doing the work, I would rather do it myself and save £50 labour!

Also, the brakes feel a bit spongy, was sat at the lights with foot on pedal and pedal was sinking to the floor, had to throw handbrake on to stop it rolling.

Any ideas please???
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

And apologies for nicking your post!
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again Embarassed He also says the top bush has gone on the steering rack as it moves from side to side and up and down. Guess the spanners are coming out!
johnborris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:57    Post subject: thanks Harald Reply with quote

Thank you harald for your informative reply......

I had an idea that it could be adjusted...

JohnB
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

all troopers have a steering box which is bolted to the chassis i cant recall any bush ever going and letting it move i'd get a second opinion.
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can physically hold steering wheel and move it in all directions, the steering column moves?? Any ideas? Also got the delay in it before the wheels turn but getting used to that now.
Also lost all brakes yesterday, pads grinding like mad and lost all fluid. Not having a good time with this motor, and getting earache off the Mrs for selling my Delica Crying or Very sad
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh the top bearing has gone i should think on the column i've never changed one so can't help much there. but im sure someone on here must have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: