4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Injector failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zircon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Injector failure Reply with quote

I am on holiday on the isle of Wight
The car developed a misfire which a local garage tried to sort but no good
So I bit the bullet and paid for it to go back to the uk to a dealers on Southampton it went under an iz17
I have just been told the injectors are above the serial number for replacement and that one of mine of the injectors had failed o
With a solenoid fault
I spoke to I'M who say they can't help me
I find it a. Very bitter pill to swallow that the injectors they replaced in oct 2007 have been found to be faulty the car has only done 6000 miles since they were replaced but the original ones were fine
So I will be left with a bill including ferry crossings of nearly a grand
Thanks isuzu
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zircon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have spoke to I M again and it would seem to me that they have run out of goodwill and aren't willing to assist in any shape or form
As I said before cheers isuzu for the bill
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen somewhere that the goodwill recalls are being reigned in now.

LTM 24
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are,  if it's been over 2 years since you last had a set then they won't replace them. can't blame them they have been running the campaigns for a few good years now, it has to come to an end at some point. the best option is to pay for a new set if you are going to keep the car as then you are covered for the next 3 years under the parts warranty.
Wirdy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is a new injector these days?
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

about £450 i think or a set is just over a grand
zircon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the car back till Friday but am told the injector is about £300 plus vat total bill about £600
But it may be more

I fail to see why they are not covered by s 3 years parts warranty as they were replaced by them

There must be somewhere cheaper
Some cars are not worth spending a grand on to replace the injectors
Wirdy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was my truck I'd ensure what engine I had, euro? ...(Eithan will advise you - but you can tell by where the air inlet is situated on your inlet manifold) then I'd try a refurbished injector from Northern Road Engineering. About £160 each injector.

see e b a y item 170512923674   here

You'd still need to get the injector datum set by the tech2 diagnostic tool and I'm not sure what guarantee (if any) you get with this firms injectors.  Must be worth a phone call though.

Northern Road Engineering

Northern Road Engineering
Units 1-2 Abbots Way
Northern Industrial Estate
Newark
Notts
NG24 2EG

Tel: 01636 705244
Fax: 01636 613919
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are not covered because you didn't buy them so there is no contract of sale so no warranty, you only get the 3 yr warranty if you buy the parts.

with the recon ones are they able to tell you what the new grade of injector would be? surely theres got to be a change if they take them apart and refurb/replace any parts it must change the amount it injects therefore changing the grade.
Wirdy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
they are not covered because you didn't buy them so there is no contract of sale so no warranty, you only get the 3 yr warranty if you buy the parts.

with the recon ones are they able to tell you what the new grade of injector would be? surely theres got to be a change if they take them apart and refurb/replace any parts it must change the amount it injects therefore changing the grade.

On their website they say the refurbished injectors have 'upgraded springs' too.  Didn't know that was an item to upgrade but I guess it decreases the likelihood of injector failure due to combustion pressure forcing the injector open again.  Perhaps this is a factor in (standard spring) injector failure???

I would have thought that as long as the oil rail pressure is the same, the fuel density is the same, the injector nozzle holes are the same and the injector pulse width is the same then the same amount of fuel will be injected, no?  After all, our injectors, however fancy, are essentially just a clever on/off switch.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol not quite you also have to take in to account slight machining differences within the injector itself and the parts as well.
the new subarus have a self calibration built in so every few thousand miles the ecu will switch an injector off in turn and will moniter how it effects the engine and other sensors then kick it back in but will alter the fuelling and timing for that injector so it can take in to account wear and tear thus maintaining an exact injection amount. even if you change the pump you have to recalibrate the system due to machining differences.
zircon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the car back late friday and all seems well with it
Cost was going to be £595 but I got a discount
I will get the injector assessed by an engineer when I get home and may write a few letters
I saw a place in the USA who sell injectors for 185 dollars a piece
Would these fit our engines?
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $185 are they definitely HEUI Injectors?

See below for a quick HEUI brief...

HYDRAULIC ELECTRONIC UNIT INJECTOR  (HEUI) FUEL SYSTEM

The operation of the HEUI fuel system is different from mechanically actuated fuel injection systems.
The HEUI fuel system requires no mechanical adjustment. Installing different software in the ECM makes
changes in performance.
The engine uses an HEUI in each cylinder. A solenoid on each injector controls the amount of fuel delivered by
the injector. An engine speed/timing sensor detects top dead center (TDC). All fuel injection is timed off the
occurrence of TDC. The ECM determines how much fuel is to be delivered based on the difference between
desired and actual speed. The ECM then sets the timing from TDC for each cylinder based on data received from
the coolant temperature sensor, inlet air manifold temperature, atmospheric pressure sensor, and turbocharger
outlet (boost) pressure sensor. The ECM adjusts timing and fuel delivery for best engine performance, fuel
economy, and white smoke control.
The HEUI fuel system uses a hydraulically actuated electronically controlled unit injector. All fuel systems for
diesel engines use a plunger and barrel to pump fuel under high pressure into the combustion chamber. Fuel is
pumped into the combustion chamber in precise amounts to control engine performance. The HEUI uses engine
oil under high pressure to power the plunger rather than a fuel injection pump camshaft lobe to power the plunger.
The HEUI uses engine lubrication oil that is pressurized from 870 psi (6 Mpa) to 3500 psi (24 Mpa) to pump fuel
from the injector. The HEUI operates in the same way as a hydraulic cylinder to multiply the force of the high-
pressure oil. By multiplying the force of the high-pressure oil, the HEUI produces injection pressures that are very
high. This multiplication of pressure is achieved by applying the force of high-pressure oil to a piston. The piston
is larger than the plunger by approximately six times. The piston pushes on the plunger. The engine lubrication
oil under high pressure is called the actuation pressure of the oil. The actuation pressure of the oil generates the
injection pressure delivered by the unit injector, increasing the pressure by a factor of six. Low actuation
pressures result in low injection pressure of the fuel. During conditions of low speed such as idle and start, low
injection pressure is used. High actuation pressure during high idle and acceleration results in high injection
pressure of the fuel. The HEUI fuel system provides infinite control of injection pressure.

Are you bfeeling sleepy yet?   Very Happy  Laughing
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

And injector being tested.  Note the need for a high pressure pump.

HEUI Injector testing

Given some time I reckon I could knock one up at home with one of my spare Citroen Hydraulic pumps, a spare Citroen accumulator with damping sphere and a sig genny (if I could find out the voltage level & pulse width for the firing signal).

In three weeks I move into my new house with a nice big tandem garage & workshop (I can't quite remember why this house appeal to me??....., so once I've got all the rendering repaired, the guttering mended, the garage windows replaced, the garage damp problem sorted, completely carpeted & redecorated the whole house, cleared the garden, cut down alll the overgrown trees in the back garden..................

So when I retire in about 20 yrs time I'll let you all know how it goes.   Rolling Eyes  Laughing  Laughing
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big garden ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: