All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Strange noises and sticking wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjcooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 13:06    Post subject: Strange noises and sticking wheels Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a '93 3.1TD LWB. This is my first 4WD. Generally, it seems to run OK, but I have one or two concerns. Occasionally, when in 4WD mode and when just starting off or reversing (basically at low speeds), the wheels seem to lock up. They don't lock up completely; it just feels that they are sticking. I normally put it back into 2WD and it is fine. Excuse my ignorance, but is this normal?
Also, when in 4WD mode, normally after I have been off road, I get a clicking noise from the wheels. I put it into 2WD, drive for a bit and then go back into 4WD and it it's fine again. Finally, very occasionally, after being in 4WD and going back to 2WD, I get a scraping/rattling noise from the wheels whilst in 2WD. The vehicle still seems to drive OK and the noise goes away after I have stopped and started a few times. Any ideas? Should I get rid, or is there nothing to worry about?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 13:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lossie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you reverse in 4WD, does this problem occur when turning? This will be the limited slip differential and is nothing to worry about. Ideally you should only use 4WD when on a loose surface (ie gravel, mud, snow etc.) and this problem would not be experienced. With limited slip, the two rear wheels are tryin to turn at the same speed but if you are turning, one wheel is travelling more distance than the other, therefore resistance is felt.
pjcooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 20:02    Post subject: Sticking wheels and strange noises Reply with quote

Lossie,
Many thanks. That has certainly put my mind at rest. It does exactly what you suggest. I am glad it is something simple. As I say, this is my first 4WD and I wasn't quite sure what was going on.
However, has anybody got any thoughts on the "strange noises"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: