QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Anti-Theft system and Keyless Entry on '96 Monterey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgarre13

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 20:39    Post subject: Anti-Theft system and Keyless Entry on '96 Monterey Reply with quote

Guys, I'm trying to fit a keyless entry system to my '96 Monterey however when you go to unlock the doors using the new fob, the Anti-Theft system cuts in and sounds the horn Embarassed . This is because the "Detect" switch in the lock barrel wasn't briefly closed like it would be if you used the key.

Anybody installed a keyless entry device and found a workaround for the anti-theft door detect need? Can I just permanently close the detect switch (i.e. short to ground) or will the Anti-Theft unit sound the horn if the detect switch is held on for too long?

Please help, I'm trying to not wake the kids Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 20:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pitrat101

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 3.1td monterey to the local auto spark and had the bosch imobiliser disconected and a Gemmel alarm imobilser fitted, he just activated the central locking when putting the new alarm in, and hey presto it now opens and disarms on the button and ise versa Laughing Very Happy
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:26    Post subject: Re: Anti-Theft system and Keyless Entry on '96 Monterey Reply with quote

sgarre13 wrote:
Guys, I'm trying to fit a keyless entry system to my '96 Monterey however when you go to unlock the doors using the new fob, the Anti-Theft system cuts in and sounds the horn Embarassed . This is because the "Detect" switch in the lock barrel wasn't briefly closed like it would be if you used the key.

Anybody installed a keyless entry device and found a workaround for the anti-theft door detect need? Can I just permanently close the detect switch (i.e. short to ground) or will the Anti-Theft unit sound the horn if the detect switch is held on for too long?

Please help, I'm trying to not wake the kids Crying or Very sad

Your problem here is that the keyless needs to activate both the lock wire & the alarm set wire, and vice versa when unlocking. Maybe a relay needed?
sgarre13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bigbaldbloke, which is the alarm set wire? Is that the 'Tamper' switch which is in the lock barrel?

Cheers
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the door barrel activates a switch which has a 4 way plug attached. the 4 wires all run through the door loom (accessible via kick panel) & then diverge, 2 to alarm unit & 2 to central locking unit.
sgarre13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, according to the diagram (and I'm going by the 60Mb file which is for 1999 onward, but most things seem to be the same, wire colours, plug descriptions etc.) The 4 wires from the key switch are Tamper switch Pos and Ground (Brown/Red and Black) and Detect switch Pos and Ground (Orange/Black and Black). The Pos side of each switch go off to the Anti-Theft unit under the steering column, maintaining their colours into it's plug. So my question is what is the Tamper switch doing. I can see, on a multimeter, that the Detect switch is activated when you unlock with the key but haven't found anything for the Tamper switch.

I'm referring to Page 8D-384 if you have the large PDF service manual and what I saw in the driver's door.

So I can sort out a method for throwing the detect switch on the unlock op (diodes or relays etc. from the Keyless unit), but do I need to throw the Tamper switch on the Lock op or does the Anti Theft just arm itself anyway when locking?

Steve
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the 99 had keyless entry. Have a look here for wiring:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1996&make=Isuzu&model=Trooper&ID=18095&type=Alarm
sgarre13

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well diodes don't work. Somehow you need to get the negative signal from the keyless entry unit to the Anti-Theft detect switch to simulate a key turn in the door. A diode should've done this to ensure that the higher voltage at the Anti-Theft (+3V) is not back fed into the keyless unit, but the negative trip is fed forward.

However when you connect them in, you loose central locking with the key in the door (and presumably with the keyless, but I didn't try it for fear that the alarm would go off again).

So without the diodes I can lock with the keyless, and unlock, but on the unlock you get the "look at the moron who can't work his own car alarm" feeling.

So I've ripped it all out and will only consider putting it back in, if someone can tell me they've done it and show me a diagram of what they did.

If anyone suggests relays again, could they kindly send me a diagram of what they mean. I was trained as a mechanical engineer so I'm easily confused by electrical stuff especially when it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

Cheers Steve.
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I know that it's no consolation, but I am sooooo glad that you started this task before me!

I think that the problem is that the pair of cables for lock/unlock need 2 way communication with the central locking unit (so that turning the key in the passenger door unlocks the driver's door), whereas the 2 for the alarm just need one way, with diodes (arm/disarm). Just speculating, but it seems likely to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: