4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

viscous coupling. replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie g

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:28    Post subject: viscous coupling. replacement Reply with quote

hi guys took the other half to work this morning and school run for the kids when i noticed a funny whirling noise when pulling through the traffic. on checking when i got back home i think i have found where the noice is coming from.

the viscous seams to be rattling abit. when i go down to grill hight it sounds horrid. as anyone else had this problem and how hard is it to replace. cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're VERY simple units! If it's rattling, it's actually more likely that it's the Water-Pump-bearing that has 'bitten the dust'. To check this, loosen the belt-drive by loosening the slider-bolt on the Alternator [and the pivot-bolt at the back] and taking the tension out of the drive-belt. Then try to 'wiggle' the fan by the fan-blades.

If only the fan itself moves - then it's just because the M6 attachment-bolts have become loose - just tighten them up!

If the fan and the pump-shaft-pulley to which it's attached also move - then it's the bearing - so you've got to work on the Water-Pump itself.

I'd be very surprised if the rattle were within the Fan-Clutch itself - as it's a well-sealed unit - but I suppose ANY thing can fail! If you DO have to replace the Aisin Fan-Clutch unit, they can usually be acquired in good condition as 'used' parts - either from a Trooper or from a Toyota - who get their units from the same supplier.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Toyota? AYGO maybe??? Bit like saying any Woolfrace alloy wheel will fit as they make for all cars ... even if you try fitting one off a Smart car.  Rolling Eyes

I seriously doubt wether any Toyota Fan would fit to be honest. Stick with Trooper. You haven't mentioned engine so just for interests sake:

Use a 3.1 fan on a 3.1. You can fit a 3.1 fan onto a 2.8, but you will have to remove the fan cowl.

As Browndoff says it could be the waterpump, it could also be the power steering pump, air-con pulley, alternator, or as you say the fan.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Grandad

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a viscous fan is on its way out it makes quite a distinctive noise best described as a tinging sound unlike any sound that belts pumps or alternators make and must be sorted straight away as  have a habit of breaking up and going into the radiator quite common on fords in the late 60'searly 70's V4's and v6's
jamie g

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys this is a rumble more then a tink rink nose ) guessing your right its the water pump  on the way out. Only changed it a couple of years back. Best get it sorted I dont wanr it going south uncase it hits the rad. Which I only replaced last year
BoltsnNuts

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also best not to drive it like that at all.
Can make a right mess and take all manner of hoses/pipes/rad with it.
If you need to move it a few yards, disconnect the belt,
BUT ONLY FOR VERY SHORT AND WATCH THE TEMPERATURE.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar                I can't remember WHICH Toyota it was [but I THINK it was the Hilux]. I was looking for information on the Aisin Viscous-Clutch type Fan and came across an American Toyota website recommending a specific viscosity of replacement-oil available from Toyota dealers [to improve the viscosity of the oil and, hence, the low-speed and low-temperature performance of the coolant-fan]. The important point is that this site was describing the very same model of Aisin clutch driving a similar fan on a similar-powered vehicle - with an easy-to-execute solution for the problem of poor performance of the fan.

Jamie           Whatever you think might be wrong - DON'T go buying parts to 'try-out' as a solution! First, at least, remove the fan-belts and try to 'rattle' the bearings of each of the pulleys connected by them. Since the problem is already at the noisy-bearing stage, it's very likely that you'll be able to SEE real movement of the pulley which is running on the bad bearing - but NOT on the others which are still OK. Likewise, as I said before, if the FAN moves but the underlying water-pump pulley is STEADY - don't go blaming the water-pump!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting Brondoff ... I know a couple of people with Yota's will look into it.

Jamie

Noise does travel in the engine bay. PLaces to look for movement is the power steering pump pulley, steering idler/air-con pulley, and water pump pulley (which the fan is bolted to). I would be doubtful about the fan viscous unit going, but I could be wrong.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

*browndoff even .. apologies.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: