All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Soft and spongy brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
signetone

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:45    Post subject: Soft and spongy brakes Reply with quote

The brakes seem poor and spongy.

The pedal can be pushed to the floor, they work but not as effective as I would like?

Can someone direct me in the right direction. Brake fluid change? Air in system?

Thanks

Brian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the pedal goes to the floor and there are no leaks then try bleeding the system if this doesn`t improve it then the master cylinder probably needs new rubber seals in it
signetone

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandad wrote:
if the pedal goes to the floor and there are no leaks then try bleeding the system if this doesn`t improve it then the master cylinder probably needs new rubber seals in it

Hi Will do that as soon as possible. Does anyone know the best place to get spares [say for the master cylinder by post] I live in mid wales and we have nothing close.

Thanks

Brian
jonkem

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I have just posted this reply to a similar problem:

The symptoms are exactly the same with early Fronteras which funnily enough use an almost identical brake layout. VX tech sheets describe a power bleeding set up but most dealerships don't have it.

The problem is caused by trapped air which cannot be bled by any conventional means. Usually the car will pass an MOT even though the driver hates the pedal and feels that the car won't stop.

Isuzu says you need to start from the master cylinder pipe connections then left rear, right rear, load sensing valve, left front, right front. They also say "It may be nescesary to repeat this procedure 10 times at the front & 15 times at the rear"

I would say that in the case of dazbfd car the air was in the master cylinder as all wheels were affected.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Philp

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a new development and the fluid level is OK then I would suspect a duff master cylinder. If air is getting in somewhere then fluid will be escaping so the level will drop. I've had mixed results with seal kits in the past on various cars. They only work if the bore in the master is unworn and undamaged, any scratches/rust/wear and it'll never seal. Of course it'as always worth trying a bleed/fluid change first. Not looked at the master but on most you can look under the rubber seal at the back, if you see any fluid then the seal are leaking.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: