4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1995 Bighorm Diesel 4x4 intermittent issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:12    Post subject: 1995 Bighorm Diesel 4x4 intermittent issue Reply with quote

Hello all,

Proud owner of a 1995 Isuzu Bighorn (It's a Japan domestic model, converted to LHD and imported into the Philippines). Purchased 2 days ago and finding all sorts of wonderful little quirks  Very Happy
It's a 3.1 Turbo Diesel, with a 4JG2I engine and NO oil leaks at all! Automatic transmission with no SOTF, just the good old differential shifter

So the first small issue I need help with is the 4x4 system.

Yesterday we ran into an issue of the 4x4 seeming to engage, although the differential shifter is in 2WD. Driving along, the 4x4 indicator light would occasionally come one and we could hear a sort of "whining" from the front end, it almost sounds like the differential engaging. We didn't feel any significant drop in power, but it is concerning. The sound definitely came on the same time od the 4x4 dash indicator.

Trying to follow up on this, I put the truck into 4H and drove a short while in 4WD. After a while the dash light would go off for a short while and them back on. I ran though a dozen pages of the forum regarding transmission problems, but decided to post a question and plea for help once I began seeing double  Shocked There was a posting concerning the actuator switch located near the shifter, but not sure if this is the same problem or not.

One thing that will help to point me in the right direction is to understand how the differential shifter works. Does it manual "engage" the 4WD or does it send a signal to an actuator that does the job? I need to get a hold of a Service Manual, but haven't found one yet. I'll probably need to get one sent over from UK/US in the next few days.

Any thoughts or pointers on what to look at.

Cheers,
MadDogDean
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MadDogDean

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2:30 am here in the Philippines, I just went to bed and although my brain feels like a dish of Bubble & Squeak, I just had this thought. How do the hubs engage on this Bighorn?

Is it possible that there is an actuator issue (shorting connection or loose wire) that is engaging the hubs when in 2WD (and disengaging them when I was in 4WD)?

Cheers and I'm off to bed!
MadDogDean
JungleC

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what hubs have been fitted, may be manual or automatic, you need to take a front wheel off and have a look
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found rhangers's post from back in 2011 and it had exactly what I needed. Thanks for that old post...

Cheers,
MadDogDean
MadDogDean

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad... That should have been "Rhanagar's post". Sorry ole' chap  Embarassed
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Wink

Remember with no centre diff you shouldn't drive on non-slippy surfaces in 4wd.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: