All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Very old AC fuel Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Very old AC fuel Pump Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I’m wondering if anyone can help with this one.
It's an old AC mechanical fuel pump from a 1934 Hillman Minx and I need a full repair kit for it (or another working pump), but can't find anything online. If indeed the part number to search for is 856518 then I could only find another pump being sold on eebuygum in 2011.

I'm not too worried about the break across the mounting flange, I'm sure I can get that welded and reground, but I'm pretty sure the diaphragm is shot as I’m struggling to get much out of it and it needs hand primed (with the outlet disconnected) to get it pumping itself after sitting for only a few days.

Thanks in advance for any assistance…

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be worth looking at IIRC the part no for the ac pumps was stamped on the edge of mounting flange in the 50's -70's

http://www.classicpreservation.com/fuelpumpkits.html
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something told me Grandad would have a potential lead Very Happy

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

C.B.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about flange marking but haven't ventured to take it off yet as I'm still tracing other ignition and carburettor issues so want to get that done before I get down to the pump (parts identified or solution in sight). I will see if I get the wee camera to look closer round the engine side of the body for more clues from the pump.

When I was first called to help with this old car (belongs to a friend) it had not been running for quite a few years but after doing the basic prep. work, from new battery through to getting a spark, I managed to get it started and running not too badly.   Now after a 6 or 7 starts in 3 days (start & 15 minute tickovers) it appears to be down to only 2 or 3 firing from starting. I don't think that's lack of fuel as the plugs are well soaked right from startup now so I want to get that all sorted first, then there's long list of other issues...

Meantime many thanks for that link, I have sent over an enquiry form - hopefully the same pump was used in some old USA engines.
C.B.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions, I finally got around to taking the pump off and this is what we had to work with.

There was actually a part number stamped on all the separate parts, so top cover 856818, underside top casting Model B, primer cover 856228 and base 856753.

I didn't get very far with across the pond and eventually by jungle telegraph, a bit of detective work and a huge amount of luck I found a very helpful chap in Manchester who agreed to take the bits and make it all better again.
Sent off to him on a Monday and came back on Friday with a replacement base, new valves, diaphragm, gaskets, seals and a cracking clean up job. Here it is installed and the engine running sweetly.

I'm now working my way through replacing the brakes, non-existant drop link bushes, leaky rear axle pinion seal, front hub grease leaks and a whole host of other issues... but (hopefully) should have it finished and safe for road use in a couple of weeks.
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is an old thread (just discovered) but here goes ...

Snag is with older AC mechanical fuel pumps - the diaphragm gives up when dealing with 'ethanol-tainted' petrol.

Had this on a 1939 HRG pump. Luckily the pump takes a kit from SmallFord spares that has a modern ethanol proof diaphragm (kit used on 1172cc Ford Pop engines that used an ancient AC pump).
No problems since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: