QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Isuzu Trooper 3.0TD brake and battery lights stay on -help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvduty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Isuzu Trooper 3.0TD brake and battery lights stay on -help? Reply with quote

I own an [b]Isuzu Trooper 3.0 Td UBS73, 2002 model.
[/b]
The brake, the battery and 4x4 dash board lights stay on when starting.

The charge on the volt meter stays just below half way, but if I rev the car up circa 2500rpm the volt meter goes beyond half way and the lights go off, but the volt meter goes back below half way and the dash board lights quickly come back on again when I release the throttle.

The batteries seem fine and are indicating green, although this might not last long.  

This is just happening and I suspect the cold weather is putting a strain on the electrics.

I have trawled through the various topics on the web page and it would seem that it may be due to the following:

Defective battery:  Checked. Ok.
Slack drive belt: How do you check this? None seem to be slipping.
Bad earth: ???
Defective alternator charge light relay: What is this and can this be the fault?
Defective alternator: If it is which make must I buy?  There seems to be two-  
LR190 760B 90W or LR110 731 100w or is mine another spec?  

I know the easy answer is just take it to the dealer to sort out but believe you me the one in Edinburgh is extortionate and is miles away from me so I prefer, if I can, to try to understand the reason behind the fault and buy my own parts, which a local garage  fits for me. By the way if I ask a local garage to buy the parts for me they usually go to the dealer.

I would appreciate some help to try to pin point the reason(s) for this, and if possible can someone tell me who is selling the best and  cheapest alternators etc at the moment?

Regards

Calvin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue relay? Someone will tell you for sure soon, A quick search will give you plenty of info though Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I used to put air braking systems on vehicles we never allowed more than 15mm deflection in any belts. (not including ones with tensioners). If you stumped  I'd suggest that getting an auto electrician in as its fairly cheap and they can "see" elastictrickery.
tiktok

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are blue relays to fit the 3.0TD on evil bay for £23 or you can get one from Milners for £14  Smile
Calvduty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the very quick and extremely helpful comments, which I am very impressed. As a result I have just bought the relay from Milners. I hope this will sort out my dash board light problems but I will keep you posted.

Any more comments though would be appreciated?

Regards

Calvin
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guru's will post soon

They'll almost certainly tell you if it's blue relay or regulator in alt.

Gribble did post a way of testing relay

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18557&highlight=blue+relay

Also i think you can do a temp swap with the relay next to it.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Calvduty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will seem a stupid question but were is the blue relay in the car and is it easy to replace?

Calvin
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in the engine bay fuse box just by the battery  - its just pull out n plug in .

The brake light may be due to low fluid level in the master cylinder.

From your post I would say very slack drive belts or the alts on the way out .

Look at the old alt if it has one small wire  in the plug on the top its a 70 amp one and if its 2 then its a 100 amp .

Try you local autofactors and be armed with eblag prices , they may haggle .
Calvduty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator relay arrived today and I fitted it. Unfortunately, it would appear that this was not the cause of the problem and the dash board lights remain on, or sometimes off, depending how it feels.

As a result I have bought a replacement alternator, which is being fitted this Friday by my local garage, which will take an estimated 1hr to fit.

As a matter of interest the Edinburgh Isuzu dealer quoted me £580 for a new one and £250 for a reconditioned one + Vat!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I purchased one from: http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk for next day delivery and incl Vat for £125.

However, from my discussions with the dealer and after plugging my registration number into his data-base it would appear that my Isuzu Trooper alternator is the 90amp type not the 70amp version that some dealers on the web only supply for this car. So it is worth while before buying an alternator for your Isuzu to make sure that you have the correct component. or maybe the dealer is just trying to sell me a more expensive alternator than needed?

Any way, I will post on Friday how the car faired.

Regards

Calvin

Calvin
Calvduty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the car to the garage a day early to have the alternator fitted.

The good news is that the car is now working with no red lights on the dash board.

However, from some one who doesn’t really know a lot about cars I have learnt the following:

A problem shared is a problem halved; I got a lot of good advice from this site.

I learnt from my garage that an Isuzu Trooper has a means when the alternator does not properly charge the car stops non essential electrical components like the air conditioning and fans to help keep the car going. So if your fans etc are not working it may be due to lack of charging from the alternator.

When an alternator relay fails it usually is not intermittent, it just fails, leaving the 4x4, brake and battery dash board lights on permanently. My dash board lights switched on and off when there was insufficient charge from the alternator not from a faulty blue relay.

Make sure you buy the right type of alternator. I tried to source an alternator from the web and found some on-line dealers only sold the 70amp version and not the 90 amp required. “This is the only one we have sold for years”. That may be the case but this is probably why you read about the general unreliability of Trooper alternators. This is possibly due to owners being sold the wrong replacement alternators in the first place?

Isuzu dealers are having a laugh or desparate, how can they offer spare parts at such ridiculously high prices? If they don’t change they will go the way of the Dodo. It is quite sad when you ask for a price that they always start their reply with a great inward sucking noise, an apology, quickly tell you the price, there’s a bit of a pause to allow you to get over the shock, and then they conclude with “off course plus Vat”.   Enough said.

My garage was really good, but why quote me an 1 hour then charge me 2 hours the excuse being that “the alternator replacement is as difficult as a Mitsubishi”????

I thought changing an alternator was apprentice mechanic day one stuff, now it’s suddenly as complex as understanding particle physics.  

Any way, I hope this blog is of help to other green Trooper owners?

By the way I still, think the car is fantastic.

Regards

Calvin
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

dealers do not set the prices it all comes from i.m on a disc........how else do you think they have to pay for all those blown engines and injectors!!!! Laughing  Laughing
inishtrooper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just reading your post calvduty and it was very helpful because my trooper has started doing the same things dashboard warning lights staying on and heater blower not working at least now i no how 2 solve this problem thanks a lot much appreciated
Calvduty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help.

Regards

Calvduty
booman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys !! i having exactlly same problem with my truck, its in the local auto electricians now being sorted. i replaced alternator yesterday with new one but not sure if i was given the right one. i let you know later when truck returns what the problem was, keep up the good work !!!!
simmins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 13:36    Post subject: Brake, battery and 4WD lights on - no Charge relay fitted Reply with quote

Problem: Brake, battery and 4WD lights on

Model: UBS73, 4JX1, 2001, LHD

Started 2h30 night journey and noticed above warning lights on. Turned back to avoid discharging batteries with headlights and a possible breakdown at night.

Checked Forums, read PDF manual (chapters 6D, 8D), made list to check (brake fluid, belt tension, relay, alternator), slept on it until morning when there was light to see by.

First two excluded plus ventilation fan still working. No charging relay fitted (X-17) and no socket either, just empty hole in fuse/relay tray!!!

Which leaves a big question as to where the relay really is (to test as per Gribble's "Test the Blue Relay - Simples.") and another question as to what is controlling the battery warning light if relay is absent (PDF manual does not have 4JX1 wiring diagram so am using "8D–78 WIRING SYSTEM / Circuit Diagram (LHD 4JG2)–2" which suggests why fan is still working).

All of which leaves the alternator as my last chance.

I have a used alternator of same type (Hitachi LR190-750B 12V90A) but working condition unknown. Do I pay to swap them or pay even more to get a new unit fitted (probably not OEM but maybe no buzzing if no charge relay present). Also not sure it will be only 2 hours of mechanics time (Calvin's experience) given lack of experience due rarity of type hereabouts.

eithan, sorry to interrupt the vacation, any ideas? Can the Tech2 tell me if it is the alternator at fault? If not, how else? Am reluctant to do too many engine starts as have no booster or charger with me ...

Is 125 miles/2.5 hours with sidelights only (daytime legal requirement) feasible without trashing the batteries (dash voltmeter indicating ~11V, Tech2 says 12.1V) or coming to an embarassing halt and having to call the local AA to get a tow?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: