2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Naughty Reverse Gear (auto)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 17:17    Post subject: Naughty Reverse Gear (auto) Reply with quote

Sometimes it just wont engage. I have to rev and then release, rev then release. If this fails I shift to D then back to R and that usually works. Is my gearbox in trouble? It also shunts ahead from takeoff if not warmed up for a few minutes and sometimes even when warm if I brake hard and then accelerate away. Its been like this since I bought it over a year ago but the reversing problem is new.

I've spent a lot of money on this car but despite that I still love it. I wouldn't mind having the auto gearbox swapped out if need be. Anyone know who can do this and what the cost might be? We're in Scotland but willing to travel for the Isuzu!

best regards

R.
Software for Blind Computer Users
--
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 17:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

NickP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description it sound like the trans fluid level is low or the strainer is dirty! Check the level with the engine running after you've been driving a while (so the fluid's hot) and then top the fluid up to the highest mark on the dipstick and then give it a try.
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying to this and the other post. You were right about the diff and it isn't a big job. I checked the fluid levels in the gearbox and they are normal. I wouldn't know how to check the strainer but I iimagine it might involve dismantling something, which is a hazardous thing for me to be dooing.

Richard
--
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ealderton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you solve your shunting ahead problem? We have a 'kangarooing' type problem with an auto box on a 1997 trooper. It's all electronic and hard to adjust anything. When you stop in gear it is always trying to shunt forward (or reverse in reverse) with the rev counter dipping and rising all the time.

Would like to hear how you solved yours! Might give us a clue
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500 for a rebuilt gearbox, unfortunately!

best wishes

R
--
ealderton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!  Well I could even live with that if necessary.  We have a feeling it may be the timing, so I will let you know - and hope for the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: