2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How To Convert 2.8 Auto to Manual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brown934

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:59    Post subject: How To Convert 2.8 Auto to Manual Reply with quote

Guys, I've just converted my 90 LWB (jap import) trooper Auto to a Manual, The following is list of what is required:

1. Change flywheel

2. Add Clutch

3. Add Clutch Master cylinder, slave cylinder and line. (Blanking plate unbolts, insert Master cylinder).

4. Remove bake pedal Complete with bracket, insert manual version (pedals only are not interchangeable).

5. Bolt on gearbox, you will need to make new mounting brackets, and used a support bar from a manual gearbox. The mounting brackets will need welded on to the chassis. You will need to cut a hole for the 4H, 4L, 2H shifter in the tunnel - just follow the shape of the blanking plate. I had too bend the main shifter back 20mm - to stop hitting the dash in 2rd gear- strange...

6. Remove and replace both prop shafts (front & rear), rear prop will need the carrier bearing too.

7. Key lock cable will need fix to ensure key can be remove. from the steering lock. (only can remove when shift is in Park - on auto).

8. Starter by passed, highlight wire needs to be earthed - for starter to work - (lots of safety stuff on Auto).

9. Connect reverse light swith to main loom, see photo.

10. Drain, autobox fluid first (oil cooler mounted in lower part of raidatior) not now required.

11. you will need to cut a small section out of the support for the gearbox to allow the exhaust to clear, you also need to squease the pipe to clear the gearbox. See Photo

And thats about it.

I'm expecting delivery of a main prop shaft within the next few days, once I get it going, I'll post an update. Very Happy

Regards
Steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

brown934

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, is there somewhere I can upload 5 pictures (smallish)?
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Very Happy
You can add this including you pics? to the garage
http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/garage.php
It will make a great adition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, didn't know you were a member here until I saw these posts you made yesterday. Great work on converting over to a manual gearbox and I'm sure there are members here that will benefit from reading your info about it. Nice pictures too! I'm still quite interested in buying a 4JB1-T with 5-speed gearbox and I'll be emailing you later today about it. Keep up the good work.

Salvy
brown934

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, rear prop arrived today, many thanks to Marcus for sending it so quickly.

The last mod was to weld on a bracket to hold the carrier bearing, first run out the 4x4 pulled well, however there was a very bad vibration come from the rear.

I new that slip prop could be bolted on 2 ways, one was the correct balanced way and the other not balanced. I just switched it over and it solved the problem. Smile
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you now have the cleanest mk1 in the UK Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs a few bits done, the buttom of the rear door is bubbling and there is a stop on the edge of one of the rear windows. And thats it. I planning to have in power washed and undersealed, and then fit a new stainless exhaust. It's been in the UK only 4 years, I put a towbar on it, it still has the Japaness battery. I bought the 4x4 from a guy south of Bristol, he drove up 100+miles, met me at Bristol airport, I checked the 4x4 over and done the deal.

10miles from the end of the M6, the oil light came on Mad. The engine was buring oil, and when I checked it was blowing air up the dip stick.

When I bought it, I new there was no rust, that alone made the 4x4 worth buying. Still, I could of blew it up and missed the ferry!
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, its time i went to bed, ive got a long drive in the morning to steal a mint MK1 Laughing

Only joking, i'm off to my brothers for a couple of days Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown934 wrote:
I planning to have in power washed and undersealed, and then fit a new stainless exhaust.

Steve, you definitely have one of the cleanest MK1 UK Troopers I've seen in a long time (including many I've searched and seen on eebuygum UK).  I wanted to ask what size exhaust pipe do you plan to install behind the 2.8 TD?  Going with stainless is the best thing when upgrading to a bigger, custom exhaust.  Looking forward to following your install on it and sounds like a great idea for an increase in power and decrease in EGT.

Salvy
brown934

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go for 2.5" exhaust. I've added a few more photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: