4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

in 4 wheel drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alistair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 21:40    Post subject: in 4 wheel drive Reply with quote

Hi there please help.
After having owned a range rover( which was a bit unreliable )but he ultimate off road , i find myself confused with my automatic 3.1d bighorn.

is it rear wheel drive (i belive)
or fron wheel drive in normal 2 wheel drive mode.
when switching to four wheel drive hi or low should i select low or drive or 2 on the auto selector.
also do i need to keep getting out and changing the free wheel hub to select every time i want otgo to four wheel drive.
please help .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 21:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BigE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair

The Bighorn is rear wheel drive in 2H.
When your in 4wd you use the Auto box as normal but you won't go as fast (lower gear ratio), To quote from my handbook:

2H: For driving in normal conditions. ie city roads etc
4H: For driving on normal roads when more traction is required. ie snowy roads, ice etc
4L: For driving at slow speeds over rough terrain

As for the Free Wheeling Hubs, it depends if you have manual or automatic Free Wheeling Hubs, if there manual you have to get out and change them, if there auto, again to quote from my handbook:

Automatic Free wheeling Hub Operation:
2H>4H: The vehicle must be stopped before the transfer is made.
4H>2H: The transfer can be made while driving.
4H<>4L: Provided the clutch is pressed in the transfer between the two modes is possible while driving (Manual G/Box).
Caution: 1) The vehicle must be completely stopped before transfering from 2H>4H
2). When changing from 4H>4L make sure you are traveling very slowly as this option (4L) can only operate at slow speeds. Should the vehicle be traveling at high speed at the time of change, it will overrun the engine.

AUTOMATIC FREE WHEELING HUB:
This unit will automatically LOCK and FREE the Free Wheeling Hub.
Rear Wheel Drive (FREE) > 4 Wheel Drive (LOCK) Operation:
1). Make sure the vehicle is completely stopped.
2). Place the transfer control lever in 4H or 4L.
3). Drive forward slowly.
4). This is the end of the operation. The vehicle is now in 4 wheel drive mode.

4 Wheel Drive (LOCK) > Rear Wheel Drive (FREE) Operation:
1). Make sure the vehicle is completely stopped.
2). Place the transfer control lever in 2H.
3). Drive the vehicle forward and then backward 1 meter.
4). This is the end of the operation. The vehicle is now in 2 wheel drive mode.

Should the vehicle not be driven forward and then backward the vehicle will not change into the FREE position.
Should the vehicle be on a particularly slippery surface there is a chance that the 4H or the 4L may not work. In this type of situation make sure the engine revolution is low and perform the same procedure with theclutch placed 1/2 way in (Manual G/Box).
Make sure that the vehicle is driven over 1 meter in a forward or reverse direction otherwise the system may not come in.
The system should be used once a month for over 20km while not needed.

Hope this explains it for you.

BigE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: