4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement Ignition Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Weedon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 15:05    Post subject: Replacement Ignition Keys Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently acquired a 98 3.1D Trooper which is great but showing some electrical niggles. can anyone offer me some advise. Firstly, I was only given one ignition key and dont know the security tag number to order more spares. The local locksmith couldn't cut more because of the in-built immobiliser unit. As I have already had dealings with a main dealer, which cost me over £200 for a replacment aerial, can anyone point me in the direction of a cheaper solution?
Secondly, I find that on occaisions I can lock myself in the car. I think it is when I rest my arm through the open window I depress the pop up button, and then when I try and open the door with the normal release handle it all locks up. The passengers can all get out through their doors, and if I climb out the passenger door(s) I can then lock the car externally, but it takes several fiddles with the key to get the drivers door opening again? Any suggestions?
Finally, I have been quoted £560 to have the Wing Mirror motors replaced, the ones that allow you to pull them in when parking in a confined space, not the glass adjustment ones which are just fine? Does anyone know of alternative Non Isuzu units which might work out cheaper.
Are my problems unique or are Troopers prone to electrical faults?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 15:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gutterrat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:00    Post subject: replacement ignition keys Reply with quote

Chris,
I'm afraid I can't be of great help. I too have suffered the same problems re- locking and unlocking and the mirror motors. I haven't got as far as checking out the price of fixing it yet but £500 sounds steep. Regarding the key /key fob they should be fairly easy to replace. I visited Leyland Auto Electrical in Preston and he quoted me about £40 for a replacement fob alarm jobber. Being a tight *beep* that was too much for me to pay and I await a cheaper alternative. I'll be interested to know how you get Shocked on.
Steve Burgess
Chris Weedon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 17:10    Post subject: Ignition Key Replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Steve. Rather surprisingly I have today been quoted £24 to have a replacment key programmed by the Local Isuzu agent (Beechdale Nottingham) providing that I turn up with proof of ownership. I didn't think this was too bad after the experience with them over other charges. I still suspect that the mirror problem is possibly the switch rather than the wing mirror motors, it seems strange that they should have both packed in, but I have been assured this is not the case. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Chris Weedon.
Lynn Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
£24 and proof of ownership was what my local dealer required for replacement key, as for the wing mirror motors I agree with your supicion over the switch, have you tried poping it out and bridging the wiring to see if they activate ? I swapped mine out and it was ok ( switch from vauxhall dealer )
and as for replacement electric aerials......... the halfords one at £37 has the correct size fitting in the kit and takes less than an hour to fit !
Lynn
next35

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i purchased my 3.1td early this year both my mirrors wouldnt fold in, i found a breakers yard that had them for £40 each, before buying i tried removing both mirrors and spraying as much wd40 into them as i could, when i refitted them i could hear the motors trying to work, with a bit of gentle help i got them both moving and eventually working correctly.
Can of wd40 works out much cheaper than new mirrors.

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: