All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wading kits - Sources? (Breather pipes especially)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowjunkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Wading kits - Sources? (Breather pipes especially) Reply with quote

Hi all.

Now that it's clear from the emerging weather patterns that I’ll have to swap skiing for windsurfing as winter recreation, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a snorkel.  (No, seriously, the flooding in Scotland is starting to get a wee bit silly.)  So, one Safari snorkel to be ordered but what about the axle breathers?

I am no mechanic (hence the shop-bought rather than DIY snorkel), so can anyone please help me by explaining in relatively plain English what I need to buy?  I know my Landy friends ran long pipes up from their axles to the top of the snorkel – do I need to do the same?  What happens if I don't?

Any advice (and pictures) gratefully received.

Cheers.

T.

1993 SWB Irmscher BigHorn
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't the axles and gearbox/transfer case can take on water.

This is not a good idea for obvious reasons, and could prove very expensive if it goes unnoticed.

If you don't fit extended breathers, you would be advised to change the oil after deep wading.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size/type of tubing should be used?
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like jonkem or siweb would be best to answer that I think.

All I know is you don't want water in your gearbox Wink
Twister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The axle breathers can be done with bog standard fish tank tubing. My rear breather is simply run from the top of the diff housing ( remove the old tube, which is about 12 inches long), and tie wrapped to a brake line all the way forward, up the bulkhead. Dont forget to leave enough slack above the diff housing to allow for the downward suspension travel ( Exclamation ). Also its a good idea to put a deliberate low point in it away from the axle housing, this will act as a water trap if any water does enter from the top end. Depending on which Trooper you have the front Diff breather(s) may or may not be already run up to the bulkhead. On Troopers with "shift on the fly" 4wd there are 2 front axle breathers, one from either side of the 4wd mechanism in the front axle. On mine these both run up to the bulkhead as standard. The gearbox and Tbox breathers are a bit more complicated, because they have a press fit part to which you cannot attach a pipe without some modification, also you get to it thru the gear lever gaiter. I have not done these yet, but there is a thread on here somewhere with photos that someone has done, showing how to fit them. I shall see if I can find it.

"Tongue-tied and Twisted; just an Earth-bound misfit,  I..."
 -  PF

LTM # 000002
Twister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go

http://www.off-road.com/isuzu/breather.html

Wink

-  PF

LTM # 000002
siweb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

your on the ball tonight MrT Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearbox & transfer case are very tricky and IMHO, as I have a tendency to put cars into deep water, there really isn't a need to do them. But this is just my opinion & I change the oils very regularly (never had any sign of water ingress in either).

I simply run standard copper microbore pipe 8 or 10mm, which is available from any plumbers merchant, in the same way that you run brake pipes. There are even spare pipe clips on the chassis that you can utilise for fixings. Just fit the copper pipe into the rubber hose connected to the axle breathers, using jubilee clips, and route to the very top of the bulkhead. I top them off with mini K&N type filters but you could just turn the tops down into a U shape. If you are intending staying deeper in water than the top of the bulkhead for any length of time you will need to take the breathers to the top of the snorkel.

As Mr Twister says small bore plastic pipe will do the job, but as I always try to drive over things instead of going round them, I have an aversion to plastic pipes under my car.

Worse than water getting into the axle though, is muddy water which blocks the axle breathers and eventually the halfshaft oilseals will go & you have a dead axle Embarassed
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
snowjunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  Some quality answers in there - appreciated.  (Top work as ever Mr T  Smile )

Cheers.
Twister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment Jonkem, but with the plastic hose you can actually see if there is anything blocking the pipe  Wink .

-  PF

LTM # 000002
jonkem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes from previous problems with Frontera plastic fuel pipes Twister Crying or Very sad
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: