All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4wd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddragondfw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:12    Post subject: 4wd Reply with quote

i have a 3.0 citatation i used my 4wd for the first time today to get off a field with my caravan  i turned it off but when driving i noticed the 4wd symbol on the dash flashing  and didntnt know what to do as i never have owned a 4x4 before so drove to a suitable place where i could pull in and called the aa he said most 4x4s need to be driven in reverse to unlock the hubs is this correct and did i do any damage by driving in 4wd on the road aa man says probaly not as i only went about 7 miles
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

crocket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-locking hubs often need to be reversed a bit to un-lock them but it's perfectly allright to drive with them locked.

When green-laning doing a mix of rough-stuff and tarmac I just leave mine locked all day as it's often a hassle to keep reversing in order to un-lock them.

It's really important, mind to not drive on tarmac with 4wd engaged. Only use 4wd (in a part time system such as the Trooper) when you actually need it or you could potentially do some expensive damage.

If in doubt, unlock them by reversing a bit.
RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Red

Pulled my van off a very muddy site in Dorset yesterday only took a few feet to engage and dis-engage 4wd, the manual advises using  of 4wd at least 2 times a year (only in a straight line to prevent wind-up).

Suprised you managed 7 miles, maybe a fault in the vacum circuit or  indicator and not mechanical at all.

soory to be vague, im'e not a guru

Rich
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving in 2wd with the hubs locked is good for the gearbox, it stirs things up and lubes everything, but its not to good for fuel economy  Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the light still on/flashing now? can you hear any hissing noise from the car when engine is turned off?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, its shift on the fly isnt it  Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again if they was any hissing chances are 4wd wont have worked anyway Confused unless the fault just started after he got off the field Question
They is also the common fault with the wires breaking in the sheathing on the axel (would have though the car was to new for than to happen tho) and not sure what that make the light do anyway Laughing .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys  for the input no its not flashing now when we got to a safe place to stop hence the approx 7 miles  we called the aa as i didnt know what to do  he unlocked them for me  she sounds ok running wise just wondering if i done any damage and i have since tryed locking and unlocking the 4wd  with success as i said never had a 4x4 so didntn know wot to do  Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would know if there was damage, we all live and learn  Smile
I'm glad its sorted  Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

can any of you tell me if this related  just gone out  i am geeting a noise coming from nr side front wheel also its pulling to the left  and like a dragging noise coming from underneath  struggleing to pull off

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:30    Post subject: bakes Reply with quote

sounds like your bakes are stuck on due to ware on your front pads ..you need new pads i say ...i had my 4 wheel drive stuck on yesterday had to back the motor up to get it off. i have a lwb 3.1 trooper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: