4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

oil grade / change time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamcope

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42    Post subject: oil grade / change time Reply with quote

Hello people, i have just brought an isuzu bighorn 3.1 irmscher lwb auto 1992 39000 miles! i have not got a workshop manual yet (on order). Can anyone tell me the exact oil grade to use and recommemded change time? thankyou for your time. Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shinz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam, welcome to the list. Re Oil changes, you'll get a lot of differing opinions & I'm got going to start a war by saying that any of them are necessarily wrong, however the drivers manual that I have & the local GM (Isuzu ) dealer both say 15w-40 & 10,000km. Most here will do their changers at 5000 km or a bit over & will change filters every time too. Its cheap insurance. Check with your local oil reseller, they will probably have a book which gives the recommended oil. A couple I have seen give the same recommendation as above. Thats OK for me then. If you go this way, go for the highest rated 15w-40 you can get, should be CI-4/SL or ACEA E3, E5,A3,B3 if poss, depending on the system in use, most will list both, the first is a US rating, the second a European one. Good luck.
Steve.
adamcope

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steve, so many people say so many things. like you say better more often than not. Cheers mate. Smile
Peter Bonnell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you phone Milners for an oil & filter kit they will send you Shell 10w-40 semi synthetic
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a good idea  peter Idea .. i will do that on my next oil change
Tourist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside American Petroleum Institute (API) and European ACEA rating, there is the Japanese Automobile Standards Organization (JASO) doing oil quality certification. May be partly out of nationalist pride or whatever, JASO insisted that Japanese engines are built differently and requires oil of different standards from API & ACEA. Ya, I know, they all do say the same things...the American and European and that's why you have API & ACEA.

For example, in the late 90's when API-CG4 was the latest standard from API then, there was a paper whereby JASO specifically stated CG4 can cause accelerated valve train wear. That is very serious accusation.

I somehow believe the situation is still similar in 2007 because I have seen brand new 2006 Isuzu models that still have sticker calling for for API-CD grade oil sitting in the dealers' lot. And this is an oil that API considered to be totally obsolete 2 decades ago Shocked

To cut the story short, I would advise fellow owners to just go get the Delo-400 15W40 and be done with the guess work. It has the latest JASO DH-1 oil standard.

Peace. I don't want to start a war here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Automotive_Standards_Organization
MartQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use 15W/40 and change it every 5000 miles and the filter every 10000.  Had no probs so far.  Don't use Fram oil filters though as the outside diameter is a fraction larger and they are difficult to get out between the torsion bar and either the exhaust or front prop shaft (can't remember off the top of my head).  The ones made by Blueprint fit perfectly.
brains

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though my motor is a mk1 2.8 its identical to the 3.1 , my manual says 15/40w and change at 3000 miles but i do mine at 5000 miles .
Peter Bonnell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

rating, there is the Japanese Automobile Standards Organization (JASO) doing oil quality certification. May be partly out of nationalist pride or whatever, JASO insisted that Japanese engines are built differently and requires oil of different standards from API & ACEA. Ya, I know, they all do say the same things...the American and European and that's why you have API & ACEA.

For example, in the late 90's when API-CG4 was the latest standard from API then, there was a paper whereby JASO specifically stated CG4 can cause accelerated valve train wear. That is very serious accusation.

I somehow believe the situation is still similar in 2007 because I have seen brand new 2006 Isuzu models that still have sticker calling for for API-CD grade oil sitting in the dealers' lot. And this is an oil that API considered to be totally obsolete 2 decades ago  

To cut the story short, I would advise fellow owners to just go get the Delo-400 15W40 and be done with the guess work. It has the latest JASO DH-1 oil standard.

Peace. I don't want to start a war here.
Shocked who's going to argue with you
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

re : bighorn 3.1 turbo diesel engine.

am i paying too much ? i use castrol 10w 40 synthetic oil for turbo diesel engines.
i too change my oil every 5000 miles and filter every 10000 miles, one thing for sure is the oil is a good brand.. but at £24.99 a bit expensive for a gallon when i need more than a gallon for an oil change!!
with my bighorn, i tow a caravan long distances, tow trailers with heavy loads, school runs, fill it with rubbish to tips,  and go off roading too - so it has a busy life.  Shocked
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam Hound wrote:
re : bighorn 3.1 turbo diesel engine.

am i paying too much ? i use castrol 10w 40 synthetic oil for turbo diesel engines.
i too change my oil every 5000 miles and filter every 10000 miles, one thing for sure is the oil is a good brand.. but at £24.99 a bit expensive for a gallon when i need more than a gallon for an oil change!!
with my bighorn, i tow a caravan long distances, tow trailers with heavy loads, school runs, fill it with rubbish to tips,  and go off roading too - so it has a busy life.  Shocked

Snap, though mine is a semi synthetic, I did enquire at my local auto factors and they could get me a 25 litre drum for about £ 45, that was for the Comma brand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: