2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What's this button?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 16:55    Post subject: What's this button?! Reply with quote

I haven't invested in an owners manual for my '92 Bighorn yet (hoping to get one for Christmas! Wink ), so can anyone tell me exactly what the manual says the button on the lower right-hand side of the steering column is? It has an engine motif on it and lights up blue when pressed - pressing it at idle increases the engine rpm so I'm guessing that it's just a device to warm up the engine a little faster than normal. But, I also have a manual 'choke' for increasing the rpm, so what's the button there for? Any answers gratefully received. Merry Christmas! Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 16:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't got a manual yet (apart from the Japanese one that came with my Bighorn), I can tell you that it is what you think. It is a sort of engine pre-heat that heats up the engine coolant (now there's a contradiction for you). It should only work at temperatures below 10 degrees C and helps to speed up the internal heating. The revs increase because of the alternator compensation.

Hope that helps.

Steve

PS. I can't take the credit for the answer, I found it in one of these forums some time ago 'cause I had the same query !!
Jo Sharp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i used this button for cold starting during the last couple of days, it caused the engine to lose power and produce heaps of smoke.

This morning left the cold start switch off and everything was fine again - explanation anyone?
mickydrew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 0:52    Post subject: That little button Reply with quote

Was just like the ugly bloke with the gun thing and the little "red" button in the movie "The Fifth Element".
I have a 92 3.1TD Citation UK model and luckily the original English manual.
I live in Spain so it never really came into the equation until recently when it was bloomin cold and the button lit up when I pressed it. Not a lot happened and then suddenly the revs went up andaway I went. On return I sitched it back on and it turned it's own little blue light off.
Then for 2 days the bloody Troop had NO power and I though I had blown my turbo? Then by magic it reverted to normal and then started running better than before as it was labouring at 3000rpm and needed to be changed up a gear.
Thanks for the info as now I know A. Where to look for the valve & B. To leave the bloody thing alone....
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:42    Post subject: That button Reply with quote

My owners manual for my 1989 2.8Td says that it is the engine quick heater button, & pressing it will heat the engine up very quickly but that I am 'not to be alarmed by the clouds of black smoke and loss of power'! It is not too be left on too long however - which I didn't need telling really!
Tonyw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like the QWS or quick warm up system.
Its only supposed to operate below about 6 degrees.
What it does is close two flaps, one in the intake, and one in the exhaust system. it also picks up the idle speed a little.
The idea is to make the engine work harder at idle and lowish rpm to generate more heat, i.e. warm up quicker. It SHOULD turn itself of once the engine is warm, or you demand high rpm.

The main componets are in the intake flap and vacuum actuator on the pipe leading into the intake maifold, and the same again, but with a remote actuator between the exhaust downpipe/catylist and the main silencer.

In warm climates it may never actually come on, so after a few years the flaps, and control mechanisms can get partially siezed, so when you do finally use it the flaps get stuck closed, causing black smoke and a lack of power. hope this helps

Tony
ethel610

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 0:34    Post subject: whats this button Reply with quote

agree with everyone, we've had same problem and never touch this button now. Have heard it can be disconnected
ethel610

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 0:35    Post subject: whats this button Reply with quote

agree with everyone, we've had same problem and never touch this button now. Have heard it can be disconnected
Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Very Happy
Richard D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the swith out and took the wiring plug out of the back of mine then put the swith back in the hole Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: