2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

OK, not a Trooper - but guess what I was up to last weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 18:13    Post subject: OK, not a Trooper - but guess what I was up to last weekend! Reply with quote

GETTING DIRTY!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 18:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shinz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, lovely pic & really tugged my heart strings, Landies being my 1st love but as a family vehicle, I couldn't stand the discomfort , noise & unreliabilty. The bighorn is far better here. Still want a Landie though, hope to do a "4x4 is born" sought of thing, if you saw the Mark Evans series on Telly you'll know what I mean Smile
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see the prog but know plenty about it as it was in Land Rover Enthusiast. But that is the great thing about Landies, thier total 'buildability'.

I got back into Isuzu when I bought one for the 2.8TD engine and it ended up as my family/holiday/off roading/ commute car! trouble is, if I broke it off roading I couldn't get to work in the morning. I needed a cheap off roader.

I only drive this because it is tax exempt over here so the cost is fuel and the £95 fully comp insurance and that is it! I would dispute the reliability comment and agree totally about the comfort! i was taking part in a club trial and the old girl performed well in front of some serious motors - have a look at www.twinaxle.com and the last 'photo's' section for an idea!
shinz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, My reliability & comfort comments were really based on two seperate scenarios. I had a 1971 SIIa SWB & loved it, very tidy & original but not family friendly. Lusted after a Discovery for ages but when it came time to put the dollars down, the list of potential Discovery problems frightened me off & the Bighorn was our next choice for space etc. In fact, with its 109" wheelbase I think its close to what a LWB Lnd Rover should have grown into given some sensible development. Now we've had this I would struggle to go back to a Discovery, I think the Isuzu has more space, better back seats( 3rd row) & I haven't found a single problem with this one yet. I think my chances of being able to do that with a 95 Discovery diesel would be very slim. Still love the traditional Land Rover shape though hence my aim to build a hybrid on a Range Rover, early Discovery chassis one day. Cheers, Steve
PS Thanks for yur link to the ITOG site for the Bighorn sahara story, loved it. Now all I have to do is persuade the family to take seperate holidays Very Happy
The PIG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI PAUL WHERE IT IS THAT
2hiMcfly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 20:03    Post subject: Reliability! Reply with quote

I have to agree. I hav'nt owned the Trooper long enough to judge for myself although I hear good tings about them. Laughing
I have owned several Land Rovers from series to the current 300 Tdi rangie and they are all the same. Sad
The trooper is better built ,has more room and power and costs less !
I was speaking to my mechanic at HURST garage and he was saying how landrover are still fitting a restricter in the top hose on TD5 discos to help them get warm ! they are too cheap to fit a smaller rad for the european market ! Shocked
Funnily enough the Toyota imports seem to be the other way as the have too smaller a radiator for the uk and get hot and crack the heads on the 2.4 and 3.0 diesels ! Shocked
My father has had a new head and a larger cored rad on his 97 , 3.0 TD surf. £1995 fitted) cheap eh ! Shocked Shocked
I would still have an old V8 rangie for mud plugging as they are great for that but too dear for every day motoring. Very Happy
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the Mud Factory at Gotwick, near East grinstead. It can be hired for clubs actually, which is what we, the Twinaxle Club did on this day. Interested?.....If we get enough interest we could do a day for £20 each, but we would need 15 vehicles, or 15 people prepared to pay £20 each.
ian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi could you please post the Bighorn sahara story link??

Hi paul i wish here in scotland i had some were to go like that i would gladly pay you 20 quid so would a lot of folk in this area >

cheers ian
shinz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, Try this, hope Paul Desn't mind me doing this,thtis is the story he directed me to. Ahhhh! Dreams, At least for you guys in the UK & europe its not too far away. For me its the other side of the world Sad
http://www.itog.com/sahara.shtml
Enjoy, Steve.
ian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steve there must be some amazing places were you live

cheers ian
shinz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, There surely are. In a typically unbiased modest kiwi way Wink I can agree with you. My family are now getting to the age we can get out & explore our country, & thats what I bought the Bighorn for. In a fortnights time we're off to a reunion of people I used to work with In Hanmer about 3 hours south of Nelson ( Atlases out everyone!) Rather than go by the main road we're intending to go by a private road built originally for the construction of electricity tranmission lines which will take us through a superb valley surrounded by 6-7000' mountains, over a pass nearly 4000' & down past the head waters of the Clarence river, over another pass, 3,300' high & down to Hanmer, noted as a thermal resort with hot springs.Coudn't do that by ordinary car. It'll be horrible Very Happy & inbetween relaxing in the springs I'm going to imbibe alcoholic beverages & tell lies with my old work mates. That'll be just awful Laughing Laughing Laughing But I'll manfully struggle to enjoy it all. & yes, the scenery won't be half bad either Smile
Hope this doesn't sound too smug. Cheers, Steve.
ian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

you lucky man Crying or Very sad mind and take some photos

cheers the noo ian
NeilD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a cool picture hehe, love the way it looks like its taking it in its stride hehe

That Sahara story is great, the trooper kicks *beep*! Smile
shinz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to posting the account of our trip thru the Rainbow road mentioned above, lots of piccies for Ian Very Happy I've put it in the Readers Drives Forum as seeming the most appropriate. You'll find it here
http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8428#8428
Cheers, Steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: