QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Chassis/suspension failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:44    Post subject: Chassis/suspension failure Reply with quote

Hi from New Zealand..I have owned since new a 1993 lwb 3.1 td.

The front right hand suspension arm that is welded to the chassis has fractured around the weld, thus effectively leaving the front 3 feet of the vehicle unsupported.
This is a serious break in the chassis and will most likely result in the vehicle being written off.

I have been doing a web search to see if this is a widespread problem and there are reports from Austraila that indicate this has been occuring on TD Isuzu vehicles... but has been thus far attributed to fatigue resulting from the additional weight of bull bars and winches being fitted.

My vehicle has none of the above fitted and has sustained no frontal damage.

I would appreciate hearing of any reports from your part of the world and would suggest that a visual inspection of this area be undertaken as breakage at speed would inevitably result in a tragic outcome.

Kind regards
Paul Vahry
Auckland New Zealand
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shinz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, Hi, I`ve just bought a 1995 3.1TD Bighorn & am interested in your tale of fractured chassis, can you be more specific as to where & at how many kms? Thanks, Steve
Paul V

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shinz..Yet another Kiwi on this site...My trooper is a 93' NZ NEW..YEP COST $83.000!!!! ( before they took off the 30% duty)so yes I still own it. Have had (5) New troopers in last 15 years (3x2.6L petrol ) 2 31td's. The 3.1td that has broken the chassis has travelled 270.000ks mostly to and from Mt Ruapehu..Keen skiers.. It has fractured the weld around the front RH. suspension arm..(the power steering unit is also attached at this point to the other side of the chassis. The vehicle is absolutely stock std as per delivery..and has been maintained by a GM dealer since new.. If you are interested in seeing a pic..I have attached one on the OZ EXPLORER..WEB SITE..SEE THREAD "CRACKED CHASSIS "
GM NZ are slowly ... getting around to acknowledging my concerns.They claim that the Jap Domestic market had some problems with welds. But are being very hedgy in saying too much..I reminded him that there is an entire site dedicated to this problem in Aus..
I suspect that they want to keep it as quiet as possible...but the LTSA ARE ONLY A PHONE CALL AWAY...I will keep everyone informed as to any outcome.
Cheers PV
Bob P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 21:48    Post subject: Chassis Failure Reply with quote

Hi I have a 1992 3.1TD Bighorn, I heard a small clunk when I braked and the car started to dive to the left when I braked hard. I thought it was brakes so I bought new pads.
When I came to do the job I noticed a crack in the chassis around one of the bolts that holds on the steering box and across the chassis to the front and rear of the suspension arm. Nothing was wrong with the brakes.
A bolt was missing from the steering box. I can only guess what happened to it!

When I put in a new bolt the crack in the chassis closed up, so I cleaned up the cracks and arc welded the lot.

Seems fine now, the rest of the chassis is mint, car has only done 86,000 Km's. I also found the alternator bottom bolt had lost a nut and drifted half out. The rev counter used to cut out, now that seems to have been cured!

Still in love with the car, a cracking all round tool!
Paul V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Wouldn't you know it.. just another confirmed case of the the exact same problem...I wonder how many of these vehicles are out there that are a fatality waiting to happen... "Please check all the welds attaching the front RH suspension arms, and the chassis area around the power steering unit.
I am currently being seriously "stone walled" at every turn by both the Manufacturers and Distributors of this vehicle...

I need every bit of help that can be offered...

So if you hear a clunk when braking or turning on full lock and own a 3.1 TD models from 92' onwards..CHECK IT OUT..and let me know of the outcome..

Paul Vahry
New Zealand
New Zealand
squatepantz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 16:25    Post subject: NEW OWNER WOES...... Reply with quote

HI ALL,
IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE ANYBODY HAS LISTED A PROBLEM WITH THEIR CHASSIS, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYTHING WAS EVER SORTED OUT UNDER WARRANTY?
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A SECONDHAND 95' 3.1TD AND HAVE HAD TO PUT IT STRAIGHT TO MY LOCAL GARAGE BECAUSE THE CHASSIS HAD SPLIT JUST UNDER THE STEERING BOX MOUNTING! AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS DUE TO RUST BUT THE SURROUNDING METAL IS SOLID?
THIS DOES APEAR TO BE A STRUCTUAL FAULT WITH THIS TYPE OF VEHICLE SO HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK WITH ISUZU?

ALL THE BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR AND ENJOY THE SNOW WHILE IT'S HERE Very Happy

SQUATEPANTZ
siweb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help it your investigation

http://dogandlemon.com/site/japanese-vehicle-recalls/?caseno=RJ-0986-0

Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Bighorn problem as Siweb's excellent document shows. It is mainly to do with the poor quality of the welding in that area and is fairly easily spotted and fixed. In at least one case, the steering box bolts had loosened and one had dropped out putting undue strain on the welding. Is yours a Trooper though? I only ask because Trooper is not the subject of the recall as far as I know, it only affects Bighorns which are grey imports here and would not be able to be fixed under any warranty. It is worth badgering IM though for sure.

Vehicles affected seemed to be mainly those who have done a fair bit of off-roading. There was no-one in the UK on this forum (that I know of) that had the problem although we all checked our vehicles at the time.

Pics before and after would be useful for the benefit of any member with this problem in the future.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
siweb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

siweb wrote:
This may help it your investigation

http://dogandlemon.com/site/japanese-vehicle-recalls/?caseno=RJ-0986-0

Wink

bloody hell " it should read in Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad "
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is good to see someone on the ball siweb welldone frankie
squatepantz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
YES IT IS A UK TROOPER, I DO NOT KNOW THE EXTENT OF ITS PAST OFF ROAD EXPERIENCE BUT IT HAS NO TELL TALE DINGS, DENTS, RUST OR REPAIRS THAT I CAN SEE.
I WILL TRY TO GET SOME PHOTOS OF THE AREA AFFECTED (IF THE GARAGE HAS NOT STARTED WORK ON HER) SO OWNERS CAN SEE THE PROBLEM.
I WILL ALSO TRY TO POP ROUND TO MY LOCAL ISUZU DEALER ARMED WITH A PRINT OUT OF SI'S DOCUMENT IN THE MORNING TO ASK IF THEY HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN TO ANY OFFICAL UK VEHICLES ( I LIVE IN NORTH YORKSHIRE SO SHOULD BE A FEW BATTLE SCARRED TROOPERS KNOCKING ABOUT!)..... YOU NEVER KNOW.
MANY THANX
SQUATEPANTZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: