2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Frame crack Recall notice: Isuzu 93/96

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul V

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:33    Post subject: Frame crack Recall notice: Isuzu 93/96 Reply with quote

Hi Folks sorry to be bombarding you will this but it is I feel of considerable importance and I strongly believe that the matter of Chassis cracking and the failure of critical steering and suspension items is of interest.

Today I have through sheer luck and dogged persistance uncovered the recall notice from Isuzu Japan to the US National Safety Administration.
Dated June 18.2003

It can be viewed at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/f_recalls/results.cfm

Select foreign recalls
Then Select Search foreign Campaigns
Where it says Manufacturer, Select Isuzu...
Hit search..
Now look for file date recieved by NHSA June 21 2003
Hit doccument search..

Click here to see the recall notice

While this doccument currently applies to product produced for the Japanesedomestic market you will note that the language used does not preclude the failure of product produced for export.
Currentl my vehicle being sold new in New Zealand in 93' is not specifically covered yet as has been covered in earlier posts has suffered from this exact failure.

GM Isuzu NZ have consistently denied any knowledge of any problems or recall notice.. the shoe is now squarely now on the other foot.

I can confirm that as reported in the Summary..."There could be consequences ADVERSE TO THE VEHICLES RUNNING STABILITY IF THE FITTING COMES OFF THE FRAME...Quite simply you will die..

Cheers Paul Vahry
New Zealand
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Paul V

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM have this hour confirmed my vehicle has the afore mentioned Chassis failure as coverd in their recall notice. WHIPEE I have loaner vehicle as of Monday and until such time as they can either fix or replace the chassis of the vehicle..
It pays to dig...and dig..Check your trucks today you already have one UK member confirmed case on this forum.DOWN LOAD THE RECALL AND GET INTO YOUR DEALER..

I don't wish to harp but your life may depend on it..

Cheers
PV
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange because GM had this self same problem with the chassis cracking around the steering box mountings on my Chevrolet truck...this model was made between 1967 and 1972, so it seems some people never learn!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great detective work! Well done. I for one shall be immediately checking this area. There is one major difference for a lot of us, however. Anyone driving Bighorns, both Lotus and Irmscher, are essentially driving vehicles manufactured for the Japanese home market, and thus are MORE likely to suffer this defect. Since Isuzu dealers have had a policy of not wanting to know these "grey imported, previously owned" vehicles plus there is little or no support for them in the UK from official sources, I assume that any official recall would not cover those of us who fall into this category. Is there anyone out there who can tell us differently?

However, I do remember a suspension recall from Mitsubishi recently, which entitled owners of ALL Shogun/Pajero models regardless of origin to have mods done at their nearest Mitsubish main dealer free of charge.

From what I have learned so far, it looks likely that Bigorn owners in the UK would not be able to expect that level of support. Unless that is, legally, Isuzu would be liable (having admitted a defect) should any damage/injury result in such a failure of the chassis under international law whatever the origins of the vehicle, after all, they were legally imported although previously owned.

Anyone???

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
evertonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i am not mechanically minded. Would i be right in thinking that this fault would show up on an MOT or service.

Paul
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, no, unless the mechanic doing the work was particularly vigilant. They do check for excessive wear in steering and suspension components integrity of brake pipes and general corrosion state, but a hair line chassis/weld crack buried under layers of dirt? Nah. It's easy checked. Get a wire brush, clean up the area and inspect with a strong light. As far as I understand it, it is in the welding of the upper control arm at the chassis pick up point close to the steering box mounting. Get someone to bounce on the wing to induce suspension movement and check the welding/chassis at that point. Any defect should be obvious and a 3 bob welding job (by an welding expert, er, make that 30 squids) should sort it out. Be very wise to check though, although I have a feeling that it will affect only those who have been off road a lot. The original Japanese owners only used these things as boulevard cruisers as far as I can tell. Wink

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Bob P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 20:46    Post subject: Chassis Failure Reply with quote

Well done Paul,
Your determinatoin paid off - will you be needing photos of my motor as requested via e-mail?
Further information- My Bighorn is a Japanese import, been in this country since April 2004, hasn't got much evidence of hard work - probably was a boulevard cruiser in a former life. I use it for towing horses and given that I have already welded up the chassis myself I guess I have goosed any chance for compo via a dealer! Be interesting to have a chat with them though.

Good luck
Paul V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob I strongly suggest that you Now download the copy of the recall and present your vehicle to your nearest DEALER.. I think that they will now know about this....As a result of my digging I trust that a worldwide recall will result..This is not a minor issue as should it fail at speed you would have some real issues... What is of concern to GM HOLDEN / Isuzu is that my own failure did not fall within the batches identified by the domestic Japanese recall..I now believe this problem is much more widespread the prevoiusly thought and may well affect vehicles beyond build dates 92- 96...

Interestingly unless they are able to prove that the vehicle has been inspected under the 2003 recall, and prior to it's export the importer/ exporter will have breached both export in import requirements..and you would have recourse aginst those that sold you the vehicle..

Metallography tests are currently being undertaken as there may be number of issues with welds once cracks are already found to be present..there are also issues with the type of steel..

They are still great trucks I am looking foeward to getting back on the road..
Cheers Paul
itocuk
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall Notice <-- click here for a copy of the recall notice

Great work Paul!

Simon
Paul V

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure as to English law with respect to the importation of vehicles ..But in NZ, any owner who might have purchased an Isuzu with those build dates 93'-96' that was imported after the date of the recall, can access the information provided at the time of importation to confirm if the vehicle was recalled and inspected by Isuzu Japan If the vehicle was not inspected the vehicles safety certificate would be deemed invalid the vehicle would have to be re-exported or scrapped.
GM NZ. are probably considering their options in the light of this new finding...But and I am a bit miffed to be feilding calls from dealers who believe my actions are irresponsible in bringing this notice into the public arena via the web... Hells teeth GM have known about it since 2003 and have deliberately chosen to ignore a safety issue that might result in the loss of life..AND WHAT MAKE ME WILD AS HELL IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME OR MY FAMILY.

Enjoy your Chistmas and be careful out there..
Regards Paul V
Carnon66

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just logged on to the club site after an absence of some weeks to find out about this recall.

I have tried to download the document using the various methods described but am getting "document not found".

It seems thta it is no longer available on the US web site. Can anyonme post a copy of the document, or are there other developments since the last posting thatexplain this?

Regards

Carnon66
Paul V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cannon, If you follow the steps listed below the link you should have no trouble hooking into the site..alternatively email me at vahry.photo@xtra.co.nz and I wil send you the pdf file. Nothing significant has happened since my last post..GM are now considering all their options as to how they might repair the broken chassis.. and have in the meantime been provided with a replacement vehicle.. They have indicated that I might be mobile by Christmas but I somehow doubt it..

Kind regards
Paul Vahry
New Zealand
albion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 22:06    Post subject: frame crack Reply with quote

will this affect my (just purchased) UK 1996 3.1TD? If so, will there be record of the recall mod having been done...if it has been...?

Thanks
Albion
Paul V

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 22:37    Post subject: Isuzu 93-96 Recall Reply with quote

Hi... If your vehicle was imported new into the UK via the dealer network you SHOULD be eligible for dealer support should the vehicle experience problems..To date there has also been no formal notifcation to owners about this recall in either in NZ or Australia and I suspect that GM.Isuzu in the UK are not exactly being terribly proactive either about following up on this recall..

As a matter of interest my own limited research into the problem indicates that possibly 1:500 Vehicles might experience chassis cracking.

After three months of battles with GM my truck is back on the road again, welded x-rayed crack tested and recertified..

Keep an eye on the welds securing the lower suspension arms and you will probably have no problems..

Cheers Paul V
KIWI DOWN UNDER
albion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 23:51    Post subject: chassis cracking... Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Paul. I have a local garage that know Troopers well - I might just pop it in there for a quick scrape and lever-bar job...

...I might just go see the local dealer too...the reaction will be interesting...I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for getting back to me - you might just save some live with this, for which thanks are just too small. Great work.
Albion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: