QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Flashing 4x4 light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vemorton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 16:17    Post subject: Flashing 4x4 light Reply with quote

Question I have just bought a LWB 3.0l LHD, since picking it up it has been flashing the 4x4 light on the dashboard. I have tried turning engine off and restarting and done the reverse down the road trick, but still it is flashing away.

As it is a european spec the manual is in French which is a little problem.

Has anyone experienced this before / know what is causing it?

The other thing I have wondered is the fact it has been fitted with a tachograph which may be interferring with the the vehicle speed signal.
(Anyone want or need a tachograph?)

Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 16:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dave Elcome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first had ours we had the same problem. But reading the owners hand book it mentioned that one of the causes of this could be uneven tyre wear.

Upon inspection i found that the rear tyres were worn to significantly different levels. I had 2 new tyres fitted, and the light stopped flashing.
vemorton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,
I checked all the tyres and they are all new, and to the correct pressures.

Does it effect the 4x4 operation? I am now thinking it is the Tacho
interferring with the speed signal.

Anyone got other ideas out there?
Dave Elcome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tacho easy enough to disconnect in order to rule it out?

I have to ask, why do you have a tacho fitted, i asume its a Trooper commercial used with a trailer for commercial purposes?
vemorton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am investigating removing the tacho, may be more hassle than it is worth, due to holes in floor and wiring issues, I may decide to leave it.

It is not a commercial vehicle, it was however used as a towing car for a business and therefore had to be fitted with one, this was before my ownership.
Dave Elcome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, the previous owners were on the ball, a Trooper used to its maximum train weight for commercial purposes clearly requires a tach to comply with the law, but very few owners know or more likely bother with one.

Not being bog headed (i hope) but i know a fair bit on tach's, and was a mechanic for 17 yrs. Is it an electric tacho, or an old mechanical one?, is it a seperate unit to the original speedo, IE dash mounted, or is it in place of the original speedo?
vemorton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the owners knew what they were doing, it has covered fairly high mileage - 78k in three years, but well maintained if a little tatty cosmetically.
The Tacho is out, very much electric, as I blow a fuse fiddling with the wires.

Mannesmann VDO type, mounted in centre console.
Looks like they connected up to the sensor at rear of gearbox casing, for what I assume was the vehicle speed. Having disconnected all this the flashing light is still there.

I have been told be the dealer that a wire to the diff sensor can come away, but things are tight down there and I cant see much.

I can hear the solenoid clunk underneath on 4wd selection and the dashboard light then stays illuminated.

If you have any info on the diff sensors or other explanations of how to fix the flashing light I would like to hear.
Dave Elcome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but i'm at a loss now, i would have given money that the problem was connected to the tacho fitment.........just as well i don't gamble.

i'll have a chat to friends in the trade and see if i can get any more ideas.
andrewk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 15:33    Post subject: Re: Flashing 4x4 light Reply with quote

vemorton wrote:
Question I have just bought a LWB 3.0l LHD, since picking it up it has been flashing the 4x4 light on the dashboard.

Has anyone experienced this before / know what is causing it?

Question

The 4x4 light started flashing on my 2000 LWB 3.0D about 12 montrhs ago, after having worked perfectly previously. As the vehicle was still under warranty, I took it into my local Isuzu main dealer. The problem proved to be a minor fault in the wiring harness, which was fixed simply and quickly. This is a known fault - in some Troopers, the wiring harness is overstretched & it can fail and and can cause this problem.

In my case, the Trooper went into 4wd and back out again OK. In 4wd, the light came on permanently as it is supposed to do - but flashed after swtiching back to 2wd, rather than extinguishing.

It sounds like the problem you are having.

Cheers
Andrew Kay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: