4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Gas Conversion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdavies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50    Post subject: Gas Conversion Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry if this is an old chestnut, but given the rising price of fuel I was wondering about the economics of a gas conversion for my 3.0 td trooper. Has anyone had already gone down this road and is willing to share their experience.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas on a 3.0? do you mean LPG, in which case you can get lpg conversions for diesels, but it's only about a 25% mix tops, and it's for an increase in power rather than dual fuel.

If it's the v6, then there's a couple of people on here running on gas. What about looking into running on propper bio, rumour has it that the 3.0 doesn't like veg oil, but there's people running it on this forum with no issues as yet.

01553 845 945
DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Chris said a diesel conversion will only give you 20% LPG. With a very light right foot it might give you a little better mpg but not much, It was mainly to burn the diesel more efficiently resulting in a power gain. THIS site claims up to 30% fuel savings AND increased power but i don't think the majority of people will get 30% savings on their fuel bill, I think your best bet if considering it is to talk to as many LPG fitters as possible weigh the pro's and cons and then make a better educated decision.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more info here
http://www.iwemalpg.com/Diesel_LPG.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find, but

Quote:
The DFD LPG system is functioning marvelous and therefore we intended years ago to start supplying the system.
Unfortunately we aren't able to supply because of legal reasons.

At this moment you are not allowed to install and use any diesel LPG system in most of the European countries.
Therefore we can't offer this system.

Is a little worrying.

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet a few lines further up
Quote:
IWEMA Enterprise will start  installing a limited number of systems for a field test  in May 2001. If the test results are positive we hope to supply the system  at the end of this year or at the beginning of 2002.

I wonder when it was written  Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, not really heard anything on deisel lpg for a few years myself, wether it was snake oil, or it's just rumbling along in the back ground.

One thing from the article, diesel engines only burn about 75% of the fuel during combustion? I find that hard to belive, there would be fuel running out of the end of the exhaust if that was the case?

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its wordplay, it says "during combustion", it doesnt say what happens to the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a lad running lpg injection on a diesel skoda along with other mods and it is basically to add power in much the same way as Nitrous Oxide does to a petrol engine.  I guess the best option would be bio diesel but not sure on the pros and cons of using it on a common rail engine like the 3.0L.  Have a look in the fluids section.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
stueydo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a couple of years ago, I worked for a company that had a fleet of trucks that ran on compressed natural gas.  The only problem is that you cannot compress natural gas as much as lpg, so you need to have larger tanks, hence it is only used for larger vehicles.
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburtons bread use cng in the artics, they have a unit on site that compresses it and the tanks on the trucks are made of some composite fibre  Shocked
If memory serves they have used it for about 10yrs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using less than 2500 litres a year you can buy and own your own deisel plant (obviously paying fuel duty!) But you would then purify veg oil or whatever by chemically removing the animal fat and thus turning it into deisel oil. There are probably a few sites that can explain more about that. The veg oil side alone is a bit dodgy - purify it or not at all!!

As for gas in deisels, its twenty percent max, which is the amount of petrol contamination a deisel engine can run on. Whether that would make you a saving is up for debate as converting to lpg would costs around £1800 for a decent system, and i cant see the average person seeing a saving for years!

The other option of course is to sell it and buy a petrol version, already converted or ready for conversion. They are relatively cheap to buy so that is more than likely your better option. Once converted, register it as dual fuel with the dvla and get cheaper tax to boot. Then you should be doing something like 40/45 (thats equivilents as lpg does less mpg than petrol but less than half the price) to the gallon, and running a more efficient engine.
DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto wrote:
Once converted, register it as dual fuel with the dvla and get cheaper tax to boot.

If it is registered before 2001 you won't get it recognised as a duel fuel, I have a certificate of conformity and everything but can i heck as like change the taxation class just because it's pre 2001.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are using less than 2500 litres a year you can buy and own your own deisel plant

Of gas  Shocked
Nobody mentioned veg oil mate  Question

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed i did Wink

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: