4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rodeo 2.5 Denver engine running problems, any ideas?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Rodeo 2.5 Denver engine running problems, any ideas? Reply with quote

My work place has bought two Rodeo Denver 2.5 diesels from new, they are 2007 models. They are fleet vehicles with around twenty different drivers using them but we are experiencing start up & tick over & performance problems. When starting engine tends to cut out; on tickover engine is lumpy with rev counter fluctuating; engine performance can be sluggish with lots of black smoke from exhaust; Dearlership says nothing can be done to fix problems as its the different driving styles that is confusing the onboard computer. I think that is tosh, I drive my car differntly in the wet, dry, snow, mud, off road etc & I'm the only driver, plus the Rodeo was rated best pickup in many surveys & at no time was it mentioned that the Rodeo is only for one driver, god help us in trying to resale the vehicle nobody else will ever be able to drive it.......If anyone's got any ideas wahts going one with these Rodeo's please help. Thanks guys.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different driving styles - utter tosh.

When was the last time they had a full service and filter change?  I'm thinking fuel and air filter problems possibly?

01553 845 945
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they the newest shape or the previous model
SUB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya

Yer we think its tosh about the driving styles. service history is up to date by main dealer. They are the latest shape models.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

have they had the injector tightening recall done?
SUB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know on that one, will have my boss check? Thanks, any other ideas would be helpfull.. Very Happy
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing else springs to mind although chris b was having a similar sort of problem might be worth sending him a pm to see if he got it sorted, have they always done this? or has it came on all of a sudden?
i think you are going to need a dealer and tech2 now though
SUB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I got something to work on now, cheers take care.
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi actually the different driving styles could have a very dramatic impact on the car - not from the ECU side of life but from the difference in how hard they drive the engine - the time between gear changes etc - we have all seen the old geezer in the Volvo boot it and the smoke screen it produces - yet the same model car driven by a young rep shows no smoke under power - if most of the drivers are careful older ones then it will coke up and the EGR will be sooted up like the turbo and exhaust - i recon if they were all taken out and booted around for a few weeks they would run like they should
cheers
Steve
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasemonkey wrote:
Hi actually the different driving styles could have a very dramatic impact on the car - not from the ECU side of life but from the difference in how hard they drive the engine - the time between gear changes etc - we have all seen the old geezer in the Volvo boot it and the smoke screen it produces - yet the same model car driven by a young rep shows no smoke under power - if most of the drivers are careful older ones then it will coke up and the EGR will be sooted up like the turbo and exhaust - i recon if they were all taken out and booted around for a few weeks they would run like they should
cheers
Steve

Non of those are the symptoms described, and also, really, if your engine cokes up in the time it takes between one driver and the next, you've serious issues. Over 100 000 miles, perhaps...

01553 845 945
SUB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Greasemonkey will pass all this on to our M/T people, I must say it all seems a bit weird, you buy a new vehicle, tell the dealer its a fleet vehicle & practically from day 1 its played up, we bought 2 of them & they both are playing up, but its the one we use the most that's got worse as times gone on, I mean they have only done about 6k but the dealer dosen't seem to be helping much.  Sad
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX you should know what EGR issues can cause when it comes to engines
'When starting engine tends to cut out; on tickover engine is lumpy with rev counter fluctuating; engine performance can be sluggish with lots of black smoke from exhaust'
this is typical EGR related running faults and should be looked at from the point of view that these engines are not driven like they should be - all diesels like to be driven even a few hours being driven like a grandad can cause an EGR to soot up and if this is compounded by another driver doing the same thing day afer day then it just adds up until it causes a running problem
i know we will never agree but you have to admit it is a reason why the faults are there - and there seems to be no other viable reason
cheers
Steve
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

any fault on this engine to do with egr flags up a fault code even down to the amount of exhaust gas being to low going into the manifold, it's also a lot like the 3.0l trooper in respect of sensors and pumps i'd be looking at a pressure sensor somewhere
the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
any fault on this engine to do with egr flags up a fault code even down to the amount of exhaust gas being to low going into the manifold, it's also a lot like the 3.0l trooper in respect of sensors and pumps i'd be looking at a pressure sensor somewhere

are sencers known to fail this early? i think i read it right ,that the motor is a 2007 model? hate to diss agree (and i am not quolifed to do so realy Embarassed ) but i would lean towards the egr valve as the same symptoms happen on the 3.1 bighorn and if you blank them off,the smoke stops. could you explain how the presher sencer works and how this would affect the engine and the black smoke situation mate?
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the EGR to flag a fault up eventually but maybe the sensor setup is different on these - i would highly recommend removing and inspecting the EGR and associated parts and going from there - lets face it not much else can cause these symptoms - except maybe turbo wastegate  or boost problems and as the whole FIP is electronic that too would and should show a fault
cheers
Steve

Last edited by greasemonkey on Sat Aug 09, 2008 18:57; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: