QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

This Weekend I 'ave been mostly...Blanking off my EGR Valve!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 3.1td and would like to do this process.

the pictures are great and I feel confident in doing, but one little snag would be making the gasketss.

Is anyone thinking of making a batch to sell?

cheers

AndyMac
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jon willy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AndyMac
Contact our illustrious leader ITOCUK I believe he was arranging to have a bulk supply done at a sensible price ...... I would have done a couple for you but I have no pattern.

Regards Jon.
MARKYG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:16    Post subject: garage *beep* licking Reply with quote

right folks,,,just been onto the garage with my new information from yourselves!!,,,he seemed quite shocked that i now know what i`m talking about!! thanks,,,,,he has blanked off the egr valves and says the car is now running spot on. I also asked him if a service had been done on it ,,,after the first question i think he got a bout of honesty! and said no,,,at which point i went ballistic and demanded he gave the car a full service(which you would expect anyway!) sort out the timing belt light (and not by just taking out the bulb!!) and another couple of minor things which i could sort myself but thought while he`s on the run he can do it!,,,and just so you all know the car came from :

DJ 4x4, website:www.DJ4x4.com
Tanfield moor
Tanfield
Stanley
Co Durham
DH9 9PU

I pick the car up on Saturday,i`ll let you know what its like!
p.s he managed to put his web address all over the car but not give it a service!!! can be removed though!!
jon willy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done Mark .......... Lets hope he hasn't got a TEFLON back and carries out a good service in accordance with !!!

The 3.1's are a robust vehicle and don't ask for much other than a wash and brush up and some TLC ... in return you get loyal service.

Jon.
itocuk
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeilD wrote:
...I hope the procedure is the same for the 3.2 petrol engine Smile

Thanks

Hi Neil ...

unless anybody else states otherwise, I wouldn't do it on the pertrol engines.

The EGR valve is on the car to reduce the NOx emissions produced at high temperatures. It does this by opening up to allow some exhaust gas into the chambers. Although the exhaust gas is hot, it is also 'inert', so it reduces the concentration of oxygen in the fuel mix, causing it to burn less efficiently. As it burns less efficiently, it actually has a 'cooling effect' for the short period of time that it is open, which in turn, reduces the amount of NOx emissions.

The valves are NOT incorporated as any specific form of heat management, for example, to protect the cylinder head, but in the petrol engines, which have an inherent higher combustion temperature there may be a side benefit that it could protect the head from 'hot spots'.

This doesn't seem to be an issue for the diesel engines that have a lower ignition temperature point.

Additionally, if the EGR valve is tied in to the ECU, (I think it may be in the later Petrol models), you could be getting yourself into all sorts of problems.

In diesel engines, where the valve has become blocked and is stuck in the open postion, (it's normally closed), fitting a blanking plate is an effective method of reducing the black smoke, lowering the UK measured emissions, increasing the power (improved vacuum in the chambers) and improving the MPG (the fuel burns more efficiently).

Cleaning the valve(s) in order to free them up to work as they were designed is quite straight-forward and should be considered as an option ... however, check that the vacuum pipe(s) have not already been blocked off - if they have, the cleaned valves won't function.

If you have any views on the above, please feel free to post the info here.

Simon.
kayfor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first pic shows rubber tubes connected to the egrv - where do they go to? On mine they connect to one another - is that right?
jon willy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K4
On my 95 and a previous late 92 trooper 3.1 the EGR's connected up with a solenoid valve situated between the air filter and the radiator on the right hand side as you look under the bonnet .... this may vary on different year models and imports

Regards Jon.
steveforster9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the 3.0 has EGRs on it? And if it does, can they be safely blanked off, or are they tied into the ECU. Any ideas.... Confused

1999 3.0DT LWB
ian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the blanking plates need to be copper........asda sell baking tray for 68p you would get about 15 plates out of one but they might be a bit thick.....do you need new gaskets to do this job?????????

cheers ian
cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike/Jon. Great pictures and description. I am going to do mine now with confidence. One question first. Do you warm the engine up first to get the valves open or do them from cold. Thanks
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cowboy & ian
No need to warm the engine up you'll burn your fingers Laughing Laughing Laughing They operate by vacuum............... I made the blanking plates from some copper plate purely as that was to hand and easily cut to shape ............. Having just last night got back from a 2200 mile round trip in France I cannot say I have noticed any difference, perhaps a slight improvement in fuel consumption when driving at the higher end I base this purely on my fuel stops having done this journey numerous times, but to be fair there are so many other variables ie weather conditions, weight, traffic conditions.... HOWEVER as they serve no real function for our reasonably moderate climes and are a potential problem they are better blanked off.

Regards Jon.
GWtaylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that thread with pic's. I'm completely useless unless there is pic's think I will blank mine off in the next week or so

Thanks
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is 3 1/2 years old, I would not use thin copper, I would get atleast 2mm plate steel because it may cause problems if it burns through.
Mine are just disconnected by pulling the electrics of the solenoid valves that control the vacuum, but mine wasnt stuck open.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed  Embarassed
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, Blanking is probably the best idea done right, but if the valves are ok then pull the leccy plugs.
Looking From the front, just to the left of the air filter there are two valves/switches with pipes going into them, unplug the electrics.
Works for me  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: