All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

This Weekend I 'ave been mostly...Blanking off my EGR Valve!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeburton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 21:45    Post subject: This Weekend I 'ave been mostly...Blanking off my EGR Valve! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well I said I would and now I have...blanked off the dreaded EGR valve on my 1996 V6 Petroleum Powered Porcine.

I had noticed some uneven running despite the last lot of fettles I applied to the old lass (see posting re Lambda Sensor) and thought this EGR Valve could be at the bottom of it.

I had previously dismantled, cleaned and tested the EGR but it seemed to be functioning OK. However I still experienced "lumpy" tick-over when starting from cold, and I had the idea she was a bit lack lustre in the get up and go stakes too.

On the V6 I have the EGR valve originated with a plate coming off the N/S manifold up to the EGR valve via a fastener on the N/S rocker cover and on into the inlet manifold.

I manufactured a solid plate from 1mm alloy and shaped it to match the mating surfaces of both the EGR valve and inlet manifold. Drilled 2 holes corresponding to the original holes in the EGR and fastened it together. The plate is in effect a large gasket with no hole for the exhaust gas to pass through.

I documented the process with pictures and when I can figure out how to get the paintings out of the new shiny silver box thingy I will post them for all to see.

My experience is that the car starts better both warm and cold, and tick over is much more even at cold. Less blue smoke is evident when cold and the get up and go seems to have got up and returned. Fuel wise...dunno, it's too early to tell. I did notice an increase in economy when I switched to ESSO from Supermarket Wee Wee though. Approximately another 40 miles per fill up!!! NOT TO BE SNIFFED AT.

There you go. I will post the pics soon...I hope  Exclamation

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 21:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mikeburton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...the whole episode took about an hour.
Niceone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It obviously "Suits you Sir"
Must have a go on my 3.1TD. Smashing
NeilD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, nice one... I'm looking forward to the pics cos I want to do it to mine Smile
Niceone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I was fettling my 3.1TD on Sunday I noticed that the 2 vacuum pipes that feed the solenoids? that then go to the EGR valves on the inlet manifold had split ends and wern't connected. I trimmed them of and pushed them back on and changed the diesel filter. On my way back from work today it just would not pull away until it had belched out a pile of black smoke, rattled and then chugged away. I thought I might have got some muck into the injector pump but it ran alright once it was rolling.
I remembered the 2 pipes and pulled them off and it is back to its old self. I will block the pipes off and do the valves soon.
shaungriff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

just block the vacumn pipes - if the egr valves are now shut its running ok they can't open again unless you refit the vacumn pipes !
Niceone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will do that. I may take one of the valves off just to check that it is properly shut.
With the pipes disconnected then I suspect that it will have been decaying the vacuum in the volume by the brake servo, which may explain why my brakes seem to vary. Question
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought *beep* it i'll blank my EGR valves off while i'm checking the breather pipes on my 3.1td .... SUZI is up to her 150k anniversary, I religiously change the oil every 2500 miles and the filter every 5000.

Someone earlier or in another post asked were they are what do they look like........ Well these are the little tinkers secured to the inlet manifold.

I was suprised the four 12mm headed nuts and the four 12mm headed bolts that secure them to the manifold and exhaust connecting pipe loosened off without difficulty.

I found mine were totally free and a slight shine on the valve head connecting rod suggested it has functioned OK (why) I would suggest to any one that once removed not to consider putting them back without blanking off as any loosened carbon could end up on the valve seat.
I chose to use one of the gaskets as a profile to make the blanks.

Nicely in place and carefully nip everything up.

Do I notice any difference ..to early to say but as they were not seized I doubt it
I also checked the breather valve and associated breather pipe work and found all to be in perfect order and clean ... regular oil changes do pay.

This post done after consulting Mike who may want to add to it ....
Regards Jon.
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics and very helpful as to what is what, look forward to hearing if you do get a difference.
NeilD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

After that do you just attach the valve back on without making any adjustments elsewhere such as plugs or ECU? - I'm guessing the ECU could do with a reset (battery disconnect) afterwards?
jon willy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil
No adjustments to make taking reference from all the posts I have read previously and a few options with regard to the vacuum pipes ....
either blank the pipes off.... refit them to the valves..... disconnect the operating solenoids located by the side of the air filter.

Regards Jon.
NeilD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks.. thats pretty useful Smile I should probably do the same as it sounds what you did and compile a fair bit of information from all the posts before I attempt it Smile

I hope the procedure is the same for the 3.2 petrol engine Smile

Thanks
steveb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy i have just done the egrv,s on my 3.1td, what a difference, not only can you sling it into a bend, youve now got power to get out of it!!!!!!!!!
jon willy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Neil ..
A site glitch has just wiped out one reply... but in response I have no reason to disbelieve the same shouldn't apply to the petrol model .... all my comments etc do apply to the diesel though ..... however by blanking them off you will either notice no change or an improvement and its reversible but best left blanked off.

Hello Steve ..
Your situation goes to prove there was a problem on the EGR side of things and I trust fuel economy may very slightly improve, but if your enjoying better performance the right foot may negate it.

Cheers to all .... Jon.
NeilD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, Thanks Smile - Mind it looks like a relatively easy job apart from the valve being in a VERY awkward place on the 3.2 Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: