Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

This Weekend I 'ave been mostly...Blanking off my EGR Valve!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikT725

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EGR'S were working fine but i just cant get my head round sticking manky exhaust gas back into the clean, filtered intake air, i understand the requirement on a petrol engine but not on a diesel so i just disconnected the vacum pipes i then connected them through into the cab and fit an old Redex vacum guage i've had for ages i can now monitor the level of vacum in the reservoir.

I just like guages Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rallymarshall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the vacuum gauge work ok, might well go and get 1 for mine Very Happy

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
MikT725

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works spot on, the guage i used is supposed to monitor inlet manifold vacum on a petrol engine it reads upto 25 inches HG but the vacum normally reaches about 30 just off the scale but its a lovely old chrome guage in need of a home, just so happens i have another one very similar. . . . . . . . .

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the vacuum come from the pump on the diesel though?

LTM 24
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but I guess it looks good.
MikT725

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vacum does come from the pump on the back of the alternator as there is no real vacum in the inlet manifold on a diesel, i connected to the vacum pipe that i removed from the egr valves, that are vacum operated, rather than blanking it off, the guages were originally meant for monitoring inlet manifold vacum at varying throttle positions on a petrol engine. Very Happy
MikT725

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also came in very useful last week when my fan belt snapped on a 3 lane carriageway, apart from losing battery charge, cooling fan and water pump operation i also lost the vacum pump operation but because i had the guage i knew when i would be out of vacum and lose servo assisted braking and got off the carriageway in plenty of time. You only get about three presses on the pedal before its all gone. Shocked
BUNNY_PL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys !

First of all i want to say hello because its my first post here. I want to thank you for this guide which i will use in my 3.1 td monterey. But i have one question to author of this method. From this 2 gaskets i can see some black hoses coming out - what are they for ? and if i will put there this metal plate what should i do with them ?.

i cant post pics becuse of some post limit  Rolling Eyes

And my second question if i will add this metal plate i should also remove this "thing" from exhaust right ?

Thanks !
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just blank the egr's there is no need to mess with anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

lot of good advice in here but an awful lot of work I just put a small ball bearing in each vacuum pipe and pushed them back on job done three mins max
itocuk
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firemoose wrote:
lot of good advice in here but an awful lot of work I just put a small ball bearing in each vacuum pipe and pushed them back on job done three mins max

Unfortunately, this has NO effect qwhatsoever if (as is most commonly the problem!) the EGR valve is stuck open.

Simon Confused

QuoteSeek - Free to use Insurance quote comparison service.

Google Ads - you know it makes sense Cool
tootall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may sound like a silly question,ive read this thread a few times but can see no answer to my quetsion.

what exactly does blanking off the egr valves do?

also while im here..... Rolling Eyes i have a 1994 3.1 td citation, is there and where are the fuel filters located?
because of passing bike test the 4x4 doesnt get used as much now so its sat for days at a time sometimes a week +,and now.....its harder to start from cold,and when it does my first stop sign is not even 100 yrds away and when i get there it wants to stall till i give it revs,then once its warm its fine,runs as good as it has done since i got it,any ideas?

i havent changed the oil tho (unless this was done at belt change time).im just thinking maybe the diesel left in the pipes is maybe "going off or may be abit o gunk somewhere in the filters.

doesnt really smoke any more now than it used too,no black,a bit of white at start up,have put redex in tank last 2 fuel stops.
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EGR valves basically allow a certain percentage of exhaust gas to be sucked back from the exhaust manifold and put into the inlet manifold.  The idea is to reduce the amount of Nitrogen dioxide (I think) which is emitted (this isn't currently measured on the MoT test anyway)  The reason they get blanked off is that they are prone to sooting up and sticking open and this can effect performance and fuel consumption.  I blanked mine off and the engine was noticeably perkier by the old seat of the pants dyno.  This could well be down to not choking the engine with a dose of exhaust gas full of carbon monoxide etc and particulates which can't be that good for your engine.

The fuel filter on a 3.1 is on the passenger side just behind the air filter canister.  I think  a good service and filter change might help, also it could be down to fuel draining back to the tank overnight.  Of course I'm assuming you are using the little wind in hand throttle knob to wind the revs up a bit when cold starting?  Its the one down by your right knee assuming its in the same place as mine.  You may also have a duff glow plug, not expensive or hard to replace really. I got mine from eebuygum for about twelve quid a set.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
tootall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply phil,
since ive had the 4x4 ive never wound anything to be honest.

just get in clutch down(not sure this makes the same diff as it did on me probe was told this helped auto choke,dun even know do diesels have auto choke Question ) turn the key and used to be first turn 2 seconds and away she went,

but now i have to keep turing over for a good5 or 6 then she ll fire then die again then start next turn.im thinking its just filters or glowplugs as as far as im aware theyve never been done,the last bloke didnt even know what a spanner was.
tootall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say, what is yours? mine has nothing by my right knee,also if i take egr valves off how can i check to see they operate properly? does something slide? should it be easy to move by hand?

thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: