Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SNOW!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:45    Post subject: SNOW! Reply with quote

Well, we finally got some snow down here in the South! Just thought I would remind those who have not driven in the snow that there is a technique to it.

4 wheel drive does not make you invincible, it just gives you a surer footing & more grip when pulling away or going up hills. You will still slide into a hedge and you will still stop with the same efficiency as everyone else - ie you will skid! ABS does not help in snow as it effectively gives you NO brakes as the ABS is detecting a skid, so it releases the brakes!

Drive on the throttle and go as smoothly as possible, planning well ahead so you slow using the throttle. Do not brake going around a corner.

If you have them, put mud tyres on as they give good grip in the snow, and always aim for freshly fallen undriven snow as compacted snow is much more slippy. Try not to follow the tramlines left by the majority as this is compacted to ice.

Remember if it snows at night, warms up during the day and freezes, there will be lots of ice under the tyres.

One of the best things you can do, and the most fun, is find an empty car park and lob your car around it, trying different handling methods, side slides, 4-wheel-drifts and testing just how much grip you might or might not have. And it is HUGE FUN!

I always carry a survival blanket (silver reflective blanket about £4.50) a normal blanket, some sweets, a hat, coat, wellies, gloves & a mobile phone - you never know when you could be stuck in traffic of even stranded for a long time. Last thing I want on my gravestone is "Froze to death on the A21"!

On the extreme side of things (although last year this happened in the UK) if you do get stuck and decide to sit out a blizzard, do not leave the car running for long. Snow drifts have been known to block the exhaust and the carbon monoxide was driven back into the car, having no where else to go, killing the occupants.

One last thing, hose your car down ASAP to get all that spoilsport salt off too!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers paul good advice!!!!!!

i'm just 7 mile from glasgow and dont have a drop of snow AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH *beep* lol Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad lol
jon willy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Sound Advice PAUL..............

Could it read

"Froze to Death in PC WORLD Car Park"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Regards Jon.
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, I was up in the Cairgorms in Scotland last week, loads of snow, loads of fun and the 3.1D was rock solid, up hill and down. . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: