4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The Pulling to the left saga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:34    Post subject: The Pulling to the left saga Reply with quote

As you will know from previous posts my Trooper has a tendency to pull to the lft resulting in uneven tyre wear on the inside of the O/S and outside of the N'S front wheels. I've had a full four wheel alignment check carried out including tracking, camber and caster angles,thrust axis etc and all was OK.

Interestingly when I got onto French roads with the camber the opposite way the pulling switched to a slight pull in the opposite direction! Is this a sign of the chassis flexing or being twisted, or something else loose somewhere as the camber surely shouldn't have that much effect. As a workhorse it's quite livable with but it would be nice to sort out eventually. I am going to totally rebush the rear springs to see if that helps out any.

All suggestions however barmy welcomed!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jon willy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
Thats a bit of a *beep*! I remember commenting previously on your original post, I'm on my second 3.1td and at 150k and at several stages swap front to back as I mentioned before, generally I would have expected either the outside or inside of the tyres to show wear but total opposites is weird.
Did Mr Alignment man give you a full report of results ? and are you 100% confident it was done fully in accordance ........ akin to any tune up machine / alignment equipment 'its only as good as the chap using it'........ Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Regards Jon.
Chris01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this a lot on other 4WD's and other cars, but its worse on 4WD's because of the large wheel sizes and soft suspension, its basicaly the camber of the road. You a steering up the hill to the right all the time, as you have said moving to France is an instant cure but a bit extreme.
Assuming the tracking is correct I have improved mine considerably by adjusting the steering box, this takes out the slack and improves the amount of righthand lock required considerably. Fit new tyres or swap front to back, as the tyres wear to the camber the pull gets worse, fitting new front dampers also helps as you may find you are constantly correctly over bumps if the dampers are old.
New tyres + tight box + new dampers changed mine from nearly a 1/8th of lock to the right to virtualy straight ahead all the time, it feels like a new car.
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful suggestions Chris, thanks, I had a four wheel alignment done and the tracking is spot on as is camber/caster etc, there is however some slack in the steering box, I've already fitted new tyres and shocks and this did improve it some, i'll have to adjust the free play out, the trouble is I find it hard to get my big old paws down to the steering box! I am even considering replacing the box as I wonder if it has a worn sector inside.

Chris01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp, definately adjust your box then, if nessecary pay someone you'll be amazed at the differnce it makes!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the removal of "slop" in the steering makes drivability that much better, but the manual recommends between 10mm - 30mm of free play. That seems excessive but it is Isuzu parameters on the 3.1, so I guess the moral of the story is, don't be tempted to remove ALL the free play!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
rg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a reminder, my 3.1 has worn in the same places! My local tyre place suggests camber and roundabouts. They are seriously expereinced, and found nothing wrong with the tracking.

If you are adjusting the steering box, I have a good link from another forum with pictures to describe the job and offer hints. One key issue is that the locking nut can often be "painted on", and hard to release.

rg
Chris01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree you a can go too far, some slack is required and its immediately obvious if you have overtightened it, the wheel doesn't try and self centre if you let it go. However if 30mm is the maximum Isuzu think is acceptable, which must be fairly bad, then the 50-60mm I have typicaly encountered on at least 3 troopers is certainly cause for concern, any trooper with over 60k miles can be this bad.
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

rg that'd be useful, I've adjusted landrover boxes before so have an idea what I'm doing but the link would be useful.

rg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/88

My fear is shearing off one of the shaft edges in trying to free off the lock nut. Maybe a touch of paint stripper might help to free it off. All kinds of releasing fluid did not affect mine.

Cheers

rg
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of heat normaly does the trick a plummers blow torch for 1 minuet should do it wrap the surrounding area with bacco foil
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to adjusting recirculating ball steering is on Planet Isuzu I'll try and post the link directly here:

http://www.planetisuzuu.com/articles.htm.88

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

*beep*! Spelt it wrong, sorry. Try this:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm.88

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that didn't work either. Sorry. Search planetisuzoo.com for "Adjusting Recirculating Ball Steering" Embarassed

rg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

My link (above) seems to work ...

Smile)

rg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: