4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SUBARU BATTERY DRAIN

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 14:43    Post subject: SUBARU BATTERY DRAIN Reply with quote

DAB.
My 3 year old Legacy Estate's battery drops voltage after about 7/10 days non use..... down to around 8 volts; result is a non starter. It has 2 alarms fitted, 1 factory and a Sigma. I can use one or both. Have tried each system on its own.... same result. Intend to get battery checked, but if ok, any advice on checking level and source of current draw would be welcome. Ideally would need to test with car alarmed, in case it's one of the security systems.
Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 14:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert a 3/5watt bulb between one of the battery leads and it's post, any more than a faint glow is not good, but does depend on alarm type tracker etc. Otherwise, using a multimeter set to amps/milliamps, remove the earth wire from it's battery post and just put one probe on the earth post and the other on the earth wire.

Alarms can be a big source of battery drain especially if you have motion detectors etc...

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
Insert a 3/5watt bulb between one of the battery leads and it's post, any more than a faint glow is not good, but does depend on alarm type tracker etc. Otherwise, using a multimeter set to amps/milliamps, remove the earth wire from it's battery post and just put one probe on the earth post and the other on the earth wire.

Alarms can be a big source of battery drain especially if you have motion detectors etc...

DAB.

Many thanks for speedy response. I have a multimeter but wanted some expert advice on how best to set it up to measure any current draw. May have to get a solar dashboard charger if measured loss can be at least balanced by its output.
Car would be hopeless to leave at an airport for any length of time, unless I had a starter pack. Don't really expect a faulty battery after 3 years (Panasonic).
Trooper batteries still going strong coming up for 9 years .... fantastic performance I think.
Thanks again... appreciated.
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

dab wrote:
Hard1 wrote:

DAB.

Many thanks for speedy response. I have a multimeter but wanted some expert advice on how best to set it up to measure any current draw. May have to get a solar dashboard charger if measured loss can be at least balanced by its output.
Car would be hopeless to leave at an airport for any length of time, unless I had a starter pack. Don't really expect a faulty battery after 3 years (Panasonic).
Trooper batteries still going strong coming up for 9 years .... fantastic performance I think.
Thanks again... appreciated.

DAB.
Tried inserting multimeter. Disconnected negative then connected meter across post and negative cable. Alarm went off! Will I have to try and retain continuity ....ie meter on post and clamp simultaneously before removing clamp. If so will have to ponder how that can be done.
Meter appears to go to 200mA max, then option is 10amps DC. If current draw was more than 200mA, and meter set at that am I correct in thinking it would be wrecked?
Thanks.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be 2 internal fuses for the current options,depending on the meter.....Always try the highest rating first and work down.. Wink
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily but the needle will fly over rather sharpish!  Set it on your lowest DC setting. If there's a drain the needle will flicker. Obviously the alarm would go off as it thinks it's being tampered with, so disable the alarm. Just hold one probe on the battery terminal and one on the negative cable simultaneously (with the neg cable completely disconnected from the battery). I hope you know your radio security code though!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had  similar thing on my evo 8 and it was the battery giving up just as the warranty ran out ,is yours one of those big motorbike size ones with the smaller terminals ?

Best advice was to put a varta silver on and that stays up 4 weeks + if not used  as the orginal fitments are the minimum spec.

I dont think you will measure anything from chassis to the minus  post since its not in line with the load ? ave to try it ! Depending on how good the meter is and if it has auto ranging measure the battery volts to two  decimal places then wait 24 hours and do it again from that you can work out the rate of drop .
Probably if you have a drop test done on the battery it will come up below spec to .
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
I had  similar thing on my evo 8 and it was the battery giving up just as the warranty ran out ,is yours one of those big motorbike size ones with the smaller terminals ?

Best advice was to put a varta silver on and that stays up 4 weeks + if not used  as the orginal fitments are the minimum spec.

I dont think you will measure anything from chassis to the minus  post since its not in line with the load ? ave to try it ! Depending on how good the meter is and if it has auto ranging measure the battery volts to two  decimal places then wait 24 hours and do it again from that you can work out the rate of drop .
Probably if you have a drop test done on the battery it will come up below spec to .

DAB.
Many thanks H&G&RR for all your expert insights. When the alarm went off they were both "disabled", ie not switched on. I'll try the voltage drop test over 24 hours (meter reads to 2 decimal points). Can I convert the voltage drop to current "draw", just out of interest?
I'll definitely get the battery tested, because although I normally use the Trooper, I still expect the Subaru to start after a week or 10days, but it doesn't.
Cheers guys.
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the ratings  of the items I'm sure  Chief Engineer  (robbo ) can do a quick  calc for you  Wink

I think all stuff sold in the EU has to have its watts or amps on it to get the CE mark so some internet time might give you figures.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought,you want to measure current drain,easy isolate batt between meter and terminal,but two batteries in II,trickier one......
Suggest set meter to max range between batt 1 + and lead ..dissconect. lead....disconnect batt2 +.........alarm may still go off down to the high internal resistance of the meter,in which case "GRIBBLE"... Laughing
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Robbo wrote:
Interesting thought,you want to measure current drain,easy isolate batt between meter and terminal,but two batteries in II,trickier one......
Suggest set meter to max range between batt 1 + and lead ..dissconect. lead....disconnect batt2 +.........alarm may still go off down to the high internal resistance of the meter,in which case "GRIBBLE"... Laughing

[b]DAB.
Hi.
Battery voltage had dropped by 0.4 volts over 10 hours. High reading 12.06v, low 11.66v. Car started, but not with much conviction.
Trundled along to local garage and had battery checked on a Bosch hand held gizmo. Japanese battery code read in: Starting capacity reading 37% .... "battery unserviceable".
New battery fitted, 3 year guarantee £65. Voltage reading 13.2v when I got home. Hopefully non-starting problem resolved. Disappointing 3 year lifespan from Panasonic battery. They make great TVs (i've a perfect 27 year old one!) but I'll avoid their automotive products.
Many thanks for all the assists. I still don't know how you can check for any current draw from a possible faulty component when anything you try triggers the alarms! Maybe forget DIYing and involve a good auto-electrician.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure Batt voltage after an hour at least after stopping engine,measure voltage drop over a least 10 hrs.....

Current drain(mA)=(Voltage drop/2.63)*((Batt rating(Ah)*1000)/time(hrs)).

Should give a reasonable esimate...eg current drain 80 Ma,gives voltage drop of .11 V,on 80 Ah batt over 40 hrs.....
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Robbo wrote:
Measure Batt voltage after an hour at least after stopping engine,measure voltage drop over a least 10 hrs.....

Current drain(mA)=(Voltage drop/2.63)*((Batt rating(Ah)*1000)/time(hrs)).

Should give a reasonable esimate...eg current drain 80 Ma,gives voltage drop of .11 V,on 80 Ah batt over 40 hrs.....

DAB.
Although I've got new battery, I will use my readings to work out current drain on old one. Many thanks for formula: I'll take a note of that.  Now where did I put my calculator? (Thank goodness I no longer need to use a slide rule, like I did many moons ago .... last century, in fact).
Thanks again.

PS. Would a knackered battery still comply with this formula?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep but cos its knacked your current drain will be much higher thus draining the batt akin site quicker... Laughing So not a relextion of idle current drain due to alarm etc...
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

the panasonics that subaru use are useless they now use varta ones when you change them under warranty, i've had to change them on brand new cars because they didn't pass the test on the pdi.

to test the draw you do as above just put the meter on amps and disconnect the negative lead put one probe on the battery negative terminal and one on the negative lead, make sure all doors are shut and ignition is off it may chirp at you but it shouldn't go off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: