4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Things to check on test drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:21    Post subject: Things to check on test drive? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm (hopefully) going to be the proud owner of a 94 3.1TD Trooper with Lotus handling (Jap Import) subject to a test drive. I'm no expert, so is there anything I should look for, or do on the test drive to ensure that my Trooper is going to give me the best chance of trouble free motoring?

The dealer provides 3 month warranty as standard, and they change the cam belt, and check brakes etc. They've advised that I should potentially get the underseal beefed up a bit to cope with the salt on our roads - is there anything else I should do/look out for?

Cheers,

Steve.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

flashman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Check the rear doors along the bottom edge. Some models have drainage holes to allow any damp/water to escape. Those that didn't or where the holes became blocked suffer from internal rusting. First you know is a small blister just up from the lower edge. Press it and bingo Mad
the bottom of the door falls off. Sign of a repair or an aluminium strip along the bottom is a tell tale sign.
It can be an expensive repair.
Drive it at about 30mph in third gear. When its clear (traffic) floor it until about 4000rpm, check side/rear mirrors, while accelerating, for excessive exhaust smoke. If there's 'blue', signs of wear. Check if warranty covers parts and labour and everything not just the basics.
Good luck.

I'll snap it if I can
SteveP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman,

Thanks for the info. Since it's an auto - is that 3rd as in "3", or is the test just as valid if travelling at 30 in the gear it's selected?

Thanks for the tip about the rear doors - does the same apply to the front?

Cheers,

Steve.
flashman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Sorry didn't realise it was auto. Not used to autos but have it in a gear so at 30mph you are about 1500 revs, then floor it.
front doors do suffer the same but not as much. Its always good to look up from under the door. Take a pencil and tap the underside of the door with the flat end. Any dull thud then use the pointed end but keep your face clear. You never know what may fall out Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'll snap it if I can
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: